One

Season Two, Episode Eighteen

2007

MADELEINE had stood with her older sister Meredith as they both grabbed cups of coffee early in the morning.

The two women had been visiting their mother, the famous Ellis Grey, who had Alzheimer's.

"I'm exhausted," Ellis spoke up making the sister duo look towards their mother.

"Me, too," They both said in unison. They had a habit of saying things at the same time which got them the nickname, the telepathic sisters.

"I was going at it all night in the on call room. What's your excuses?" Ellis suddenly said as Meredith set down the coffee.

Madeleine and Meredith looked at each other, both shocked and disgusted by what their own mother just said.

They both turned to their mother, "mom" They both said at the same time while Ellis just smiled.

"I tell you, that man makes me purr like a kitten," Ellis spoke in a low tone while Madeleine jaw dropped to the floor.

"Mom—''

"When he isn't making me growl like a tiger," Ellis told them as Madeleine rolled her eyes.

"Stop," Meredith warned her but she still kept going.

"And my husband wonders why I'm not interested in him anymore," Madeleine raised her eyebrows knowing her mom was talking about her and Meredith's father, Thatcher, "If he had any balls at all, he would leave on his own. No. He plays stupid. He's waiting for me to kick him out. I come home with a hickey on my shoulder—a hickey, for gods sake like I'm done sex-crazed teenager, which, let's face it, these days, I am and what does Thatcher do? Pretends he doesn't see it."

Madeleine and Meredith looked at each other, suddenly regretting coming over that morning.

•••

𝐀 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐋𝐄 𝐋𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐑, Madeleine had been getting ready for the day in the locker rooms.

George had been looking at the two sisters, mainly Madeleine but the two of them seemed distracted.

Madeleine and Meredith's best friend, Cristina, had suddenly rushed into the room, already complaining about Burke and her apartment situation.

After she finished talking and Meredith responded, she looked over at the two of them, narrowing her eyes at them.

"What is wrong with the two of you?" Cristina asked and they both looked over at her.