Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Both girls screamed out of the ChaseApp building after being among the five models picked for the commercial that was later said would continue during the final casting.

"Do you think if the President was seated, we would have been given the spot? I mean, considering what happened in the morning"

"We didn't do anything wrong! What makes you think we did? We were just talking. He seriously can't be that bad"

"Have you heard of this man!"

They both walked down the walkway to catch the bus heading their way.

********

"There's something I need to tell you," Shawn said, as he arrived with Jayda under her porch.

"Some time ago before I met you, I had plans of transferring to NYPD for the sake of my daughter so that I can be close to her instead of having her travel down here once a while" He paused a bit before continuing "the transfer papers have been approved and I'm to resume in New York next week."

"Oh," Jayda said, trying not to make him figure out how she's feeling inside. She'd thought Shawn would be her way of moving forward in life and at this point, she didn't know what to think. She also didn't want to seem selfish by telling him to stay behind. He's, after all, doing it for the sake of his daughter and she's sure if they switched places, she'd do the same too.

"I want you to come with me" He offered

It took a heartbeat for her to fully understand what he meant.

"What? No, I can't move in with you. I have a life here. I spent all of my life in Minnesota and moving away to a  city and starting anew is something I've never thought of. It's so out of the blue"

"I really like you Jayda. I enjoy every moment I spend with you but..."

"Your child is more important." She cut in "I get it. As a parent I understand you. Your child needs you and you need her too."

"This is really messed up." Shawn gave his hair a rough shake with his fingers.

"I love it here. The peace, and normality I have gotten used to. New York is not my place."

It was starting to feel like a break-up and it hurt Jayda so much that their beautiful romance will be short-lived.

Shawn walked closer to tuck a loose strand of her hair behind her ear.

"I don't want this to be the end of us,"  he said.

"It has to." Jayda would never put him in the position of choosing between her and his daughter.

"I don't want it to. Promise me we'll work something out" He looked straight in her eyes without looking elsewhere.

"How can I deny anything when you're looking at like that?" She blushed and it made him take pride in the fact that he's able to make her feel like that.

"Maybe this will change your mind further" He slowly brought his head closer to hers and engaged them in a kiss that took a few seconds. He clutched to her waist as the kiss deepened. As strange as it sounds they'd never initiated kissing all this while they'd been going out together except for kisses on the cheeks.

Jayda didn't know about Shawn but it's been eight long years since she last kissed someone and ever felt this close to someone. The last person she kissed would have been Donnie but she can't deny adding her steamy kiss with Brian.

Shawn kissed her like the gentleman he is. He wasn't rough in the slightest, unlike the recent movies she'd watched where the guy devours the woman like a starved dog. One word, He kissed her as a prince would to his princess.

Jayda wanted it to lead elsewhere, her bedroom, her couch, the kitchen or anywhere but if this is goodbye, they shouldn't be doing things that would make their situation harder.  Shawn needs to be a father to his daughter and she needs to get her shit together and move on, just not with him.

On that thought, Jayda short-lived the kiss.

"I don't think we should be doing this," she said

"Are you sure?" He trailed kissed around her neck, making it hard for her to withdraw from his body contact.

"Erm..yes. We can't be doing this Shawn, there's too much to consider"

To Jayda, their relationship or whatever future they had died the instant he talked about his transfer. She will never leave Minnesota, the real reason being that she thinks Brian will someday come looking for her and she wanted to be found when that time comes. She'd love to move to a different city, explore a new environment and it's opportunities, who wouldn't? But looking at what's at stake, she wouldn't go through with it and that's why she'd spent all her years in the town since Brian left.

"I understand" He simply said, feeling ashamed for what he'd just done.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you feel bad" she apologized after noticing his sudden mood swing.

"You are only speaking the truth." He gave her a grin and she could tell it's not heartfelt.

"Why don't you want to leave this town? I mean, I don't understand. Your daughter is schooling in New York, why don't you want to relocate there with me? Or is there something else I don't know?... Or you're not cool with being with a single father like me?"

"Oh my God no! That would be quite hypocritical of me. It's not any of what you mentioned"

"Maybe you don't like me enough"

"I..like you and that's the truth. This house..." She gestured towards the house. "belonged to my grandma. What type of granddaughter would I be if I abandon it?"

"You know that's not an excuse. You can always have people come by and clean it"

"This house doesn't need people to clean it alone, it needs someone to live in it and that someone is me"

In a way, her answer was supposed to make him understand her point of view but it only confused him more.