Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Throughout the flight to New York, Jayda felt very scared and the nervous feeling from the pit of her stomach made her more scared.

She'd received a call from Keisha that Lucy got into an accident and is in the hospital. She couldn't even wait to hear everything Keisha had to say and just tool off to the airport.

She would die if anything happened to her daughter. The flight took longer than usual and it made Jayda regret staying far away from Lucy. She ought to be by her side and not two hours away from her. She didn't want to be a hovering type of mother, it's all she's been doing since Lucy's birth and that's why she let her do her thing by supporting her when she said she's going to study further in New York.

As she makes her way out of the airport, Jayda switches off the Flight mode on her phone and begins to dial Keisha's number. She picks almost immediately.

After Keisha informed her the name and address of the hospital, Jayda hails a town car.

"How is she?" Jayda asks as Keisha meets her in the middle of the reception.

"She's...fine" Keisha says with a fake grin.

"What happened?" Jayda asks

"Actually.."

"I want to see her"

Jayda arrives in the ward Lucy is admitted in to find her happily talking to a doctor who leaves as she enters.

"Lucy" Jayda hurries to Lucy's bedside and gives her a tight hug.

"I'm so sorry mum, it was just a slight scratch and I didn't know Keisha was going to make a big fuss about it."

"I'm not understanding."

"We were coming back from class when a Tesla almost hit me but it didn't touch me. I just fainted from the shock I guess."

"I got so scared honey"

"Keisha?" Lucy says shooting daggers at her friend.

"I'm sorry" Keisha mouths at her

"When are you going back?" Lucy asks

Jayda takes a seat on the bed and gently caress Lucy's hair.

"On my way here I had a long chat with myself. I'd die if anything happened to you just because I'm two hours away. You have no idea how I felt on my way. I feared the worst."

"Nothing happened mum"

"But what if it did? This could be a warning from God"

Lucy shoots her a questioning look.

"I'm going to move here with you for your four years in school"

"What?" Keisha and Lucy both say in unison

"But you've always been the one who said life in New York is exorbitant. How are you going to afford living here?"

"I'll get a cheap apartment and also get a job. I just want to be close to you"

"You really don't have to move here mum. I'm a grown-up girl. You don't have to be protective of me all the time"

"In a way, it's going to be an adventure for me. A new environment."

"But you've always been the one who loves it in Minnesota, you practically want to grow old and grey there"

Brian.

"I want to make an exception this time."

Lucy rolls her eyeballs in defeat. She knows it'll be hard to change her mum's decision when her mind is already made up. Lucy's main reason for leaving Minnesota is to disappear from the monitoring eyes and wings of her mother. She always wants to know what's happening with her, Who she likes and other stuff that doesn't really sit well with her. Who can blame her though?

All Jayda wants is that her daughter does not make the same mistake she made by getting pregnant out of wedlock and marring her future.

"Mum" Lucy cried

"I'm sorry for raising a false alarm Ms J" Keisha apologized out of guilt because she wouldn't hear the end of it from Lucy.

"It's okay Keisha, you did the right thing. You made me realize something before it's too late. Thank you" Jayda quirks a big smile.

"When can you leave?"

"Tomorrow. I sprained my ankle from the fall. They have to monitor the leg for a night"

Jayda inspects the bandaged leg.

"My baby. Have you had something to eat?"

"Yes. Keisha brought me food"

"What about the person that was driving the car?" Jayda asks

"It wasn't really his fault. We just bumped into the road without looking. He was kind enough to bring us here and settle the bills"

"Are you sure?" Jayda looks at Keisha for verification and she replies with a nod.

"It's fine mum. You really need to stop worrying too much about me. I think it's high time you have a boyfriend"

Jayda quirks her eyebrows at her

"Yes mum, I know the reason why you don't want to date is because of me and to show you that I'm really not bothered give me your phone"

"What for?"

"Just hand it, mum"

Jayda hands Lucy her phone while having a suspicious look on her face.

Lucy goes to her play store and downloads ChaseApp

"What's Chase App?" Jayda asks

"It's a dating platform" Keisha answers as she finally takes a seat on the single chair available in the room.

"Like tinder?"

"Yes mum, like tinder, match me, cupids and the likes."

"I'm not going to meet up some stranger who might be an armed robber or serial killer" Jayda frowns.

"Chase App is legit mum so whether or not you're interested, I'm still going to sign you up."  Lucy's lips quirk up a grin.

Lucy signed her up and made her reluctantly answer some personality questions that will help with the matchmaking process.

"You're forcefully indulging me in an emotional rollercoaster. These things are scam" Jayda protest with a frown.

"What's the worst that could happen?". Lucy asks

"meet a man who's totally different from his display picture" Jayda collects her phone and reads out the bio " A woman who has a lot of love in her heart. Really?"

"It's the best I can come up with under short notice"

Jayda heaves out a deep breath clearly aware she's lost to her daughter.

"Promise me you'll give this a trial"

"Chat with a stranger? Go on a date with a stranger? Sure! I promise"

Jayda's social life over the past few years has gone from zero to zero. Maybe, just maybe this would be a good way to jumpstart that. Things between her and Shawn didn't work out. She had blocked and deleted his number just so she won't be tempted to call him and now that she will be living in the same city with him, she regrets ever making that block and delete move.