Chapter Two : Madame Gladstone

• • • Y/N POV • • •

Chuuya opened the door to the black carriage that had gold details all along the outside of the carriage. Elise and I thanked him, he was about to close the door when I stopped it from closing.

"Ride with us. It's the least we can do considering you're looking after us." I said with a carefree smile.

"Your Highness, I couldn't." He said solemnly.

"Chuuya." I said with a monotone voice, showing all hints of seriousness.

"Your wish is my command." He sighed, slowly joining us in the carriage. He sceptically gazed back at me, almost asking what my angle was.

"Thank you, knight Chuuya." I laughed, Elise looked at me with an all-knowing grin and poked my sides with her elbow. "Ow." I mumbled, Chuuya immediately looked up. That's a fun new trick. "What was that for?"

"You know exactly why." Elise said with a sly grin. Chuuya knocked on the wall of the carriage.

"Yes sir." Was heard from the coach. With a loud neigh from the horses we were on the move.

"Well, I've been made aware that I must get married." I sighed, Elise tightly holding onto my hand.

"What?" He asked, serious and angry expressions mixing into one I can't explain properly.

"The ball tonight is for the purpose of marrying me off, probably to a prince of some kingdom I don't care about." I laughed.

"How is that fair?" Elise asked with a small tilt to her head. "Rintarou married for love, he married M/N." Elise scoffed.

"Elise, marriage for love isn't common in royalty and you should know that better than anyone! You've sat through it, just watching." I laughed, Elise nodded and laughed too. Chuuya seemed like he hadn't a care in the world, besides the fact that his leg was bouncing up and down in a fast pace, his arms were crossed and his face held a petty expression.

"It takes great courage to live outside the traditional expectations of society." Chuuya mumbled. I glanced at him and smiled.

"Yes. Yes it is, well I suppose so at least." I said. "Tell me more of your thoughts." I laughed.

"Do you know what it's like to be in a different room as someone else, yet, feel as though you're earths apart?" He asked.

"I haven't been allowed to feel that way." I laughed.

"You say that like they're word is gospel, why? Why care? You are your own person, no?" He asked.

"I don't expect you to understand completely what my life is like." I said, my smile dropping lightly. "However I'm brought to understand where my limitations lie and where I must uphold those damn expectations. True love doesn't just grow on trees, please remember that."

"I understand that but what about honour or romance?" He asked, a little louder than before.

"What do you know of those?" I asked, the answer making me regret the wording chose quite a bit.

"Apologises your Highness. I was just speaking my mind as you requested." He said with an apologetic tone.

"No, please don't apologise." I smiled politely.