Chapter 18

The world's history is a tale that has been captured by the saffron pages of authors as a gentle reminder that what has passed can somehow stay alive. With authentic words, each author shows a glimpse of the period he/she was living in, vastly contributing to writing the book of the world- in resurrecting its time.

And, just like a writer, my younger self had a passion to resuscitate words by drawing them on pieces of paper. No matter how big or small the term was, I would always find a way to bring its essence back to life as an image. Sometimes, if the concept was too hard to be conceived, I would draw its opposite just to highlight its meaning. And the hardest resurrection was that of the word "heaven". How could the infinite rain of time be captured in all its droplets on paper? How could the notion of forever be reduced to some childish colors? To my young mind, the solution was to portray its opposite: hell.

All of my life, I've thought that heaven and hell would never reconcile. Two different words with two opposite worlds. Yet, standing here under the moonlight, I feel that heaven and hell are dancing within the blood of my heart in synchronization. And all it took was a small kiss for ice to melt, for fireworks to explode.

At the first contact, my brain acknowledges something foreign but comfortable pressed firmly against my lips. I kiss back instantly in a reflex I haven't known to possess. Then, in a swift second, Troy bites my lower lip softly asking for permission and I clearly grant it to him. What has started with slowness and uncertainty, ends with fierceness and sensuality.

His tongue starts exploring my mouth with eagerness, fighting with mine in for dominance. Yet no one is going to win this war because we're both too focused on each other. Especially me.

My head and my heart are engrossed with him- the small moan he lets out, the way he tastes like a rainy November day, the small wine lingering on his buds. More, I need more. I withdraw my hand from my sides and move it to the back of his head, letting my fingers caress his hair, gently but firmly pulling him into me. As my breath starts coming to an end, I slowly exhale air through my nose- anything to not let go.

Suddenly my phone starts ringing from my backpack. I ignore it at first, thinking that it will eventually die. Unfortunately, as the ringtone makes its appearance 3 times, I have to untangle myself from Troy's arms. Our foreheads are still touching and I don't move away until I pull that annoying little thing out of my bag and press it to my ear.

"Oh, she answered," murmurs a soft voice. I knit my eyebrows together, wondering what's going on. "Where are you for Goodness sake!!! We are so worried about you!! After searching the whole boat for the infamous couple in vain, we thought something bad happened" states an irritated Evelyn.

At the urgency of her tone, I remember my surroundings and let guilt consumes me. Damn it, how did I become so reckless and forgot about my own time?!

"I'm walking outside with Troy, we're on our way back don't worry," I reply with a hoarse yet apologetic voice.

"It's getting late and I assume you're expected back," whispers my date from behind me. After taking a long breath he continues, "We should be going then." I turn around to face him and nod, my face devoid of emotions.

Just like that, we walk back in complete silence, our hands slightly teasing each other. Along the way, the devil in my brain urges me to close the distance and grab his palm. Nonetheless, I don't want to sound clingy or desperate. What if he didn't like our kiss? Or he's having second doubts about his feelings? What if it all happened in the span of the moment and it meant nothing for him?