Chapter 1

5 years later

Once upon every day, lost promises were found and vows were made. Words of forever were announced while two united souls became one. And that's when, ready or not, we were born and brought to life to start writing our own story, to start believing in the beauty of our dreams. From kids to adults to elders; the cycle has continued and has wasted no time. As the clock has ticked its seconds, each pen has written separately its once upon a time; whether the book would be read or not.

But there are certain things that the pen has written in every story and certain goals that can't be unique.

For example, I remember when we were kids, we used to long for the sky; admire the moon from afar trying to catch it. This unattainable treasure seemed like the purest form of evilness to ever exist. So high, so tempting, so alone. We thought that by growing old we would eventually become taller and reach it. But after trying so many times, we realized that no matter how much we grow, the moon will remain untouched. And that's where resided its beauty.

Then, we became adults, trying to catch things that are more attainable. Many has constantly chased love, others their career and sometimes even both.

What I would like to catch? Well, the question is very easy. All I care about is my future career.

I'm still that grown-up, looking at the same satellite while reminding myself that when attained, it loses its beauty. And that's why I don't believe in love. Never will. But sometimes did, just like the kid dreaming of becoming as tall as the moon.

What happened? Life did and I couldn't be more grateful for its wake up call. Now, I believe in lust and passion that fades away as soon as the cycle shifts its angle, as soon as routine starts kicking in to erase the magic. Love is an illusion our brain creates to dissolve the chaos of our heart, but lust is derived from our animalistic compulsion.

Nonetheless, I do have faith in friendship. Why? Because as much as our hands intertwine, our souls can't fully do the same. There will always be an unreachable private part of us, leaving the magic in and keeping the darkness out.
Don't get me wrong, I would die for my best friends but there's this feeling that can't be explained, a nuance between love and friendship that is so thick you can cut it with a knife.
I actually have two best friends which I have known since grade five: Evelyn and Alice.

Our story is a little bit different. It has begun when my parents had recently moved into a new town so I had to switch schools.
There, I was this new girl no one wanted to be seen with. Few children mocked my appearance but I disregarded them every time, willing to be strong. Once, while I was sitting alone during lunch break, some kid decided to push my food to the ground. I stared at him for a second trying to decipher the amusement behind his eyes, before bursting into tears and completely losing it.
At this instant, Alice gave me her lunch and Evelyn punched the guy without caring for the consequences. Yes, she received a warning afterward but the bond we gained was so much more important than this.
Our friendship grew stronger with each passing year, yet we still faced some obstacles.
After all, I am Sophie Brooks, the craziest girl they've ever had to deal with.

In five months I will be twenty-one, and my personality hasn't changed a bit. Camouflaging my skin with a mask of confidence, and scaring off new people is still what I know the best. Just like every day, I wake up, clean my teeth, brush my hair, and look at the mirror whispering "Today is going to be a beautiful different opportunity." It's an odd sentence that has helped me evolved and has kept me energized from the early sunrise.

My little monologue gets interrupted when my phone begins to beep.

"Good morning Doc, how are you?" asks a very enthusiastic Alice.

"I'm surprisingly fine, how about you?" I respond eagerly. We continue to chat until we agree to meet at Lys, our usual spot.

As you have probably guessed, I'm a med student. Well basically I am still a premed one majoring in public health, but I got accepted into medical school. So it's all that matters. On the other hand, Alice is majoring in nutrition while Evelyn is studying to become a nurse. This year is our last one before we part in separate ways. Therefore, we intend to take advantage of every second we spend together.

I leave the house after saying goodbye to my mother and kissing her cheek. My dad hasn't probably come home yet or has slept at his mistress' house. I've grown so accustomed to this routine that it doesn't bother me anymore. There was a time when it killed me to admit that my parents' marriage was a failure but things have evolved. Parents aren't superheroes, they're human beings who make mistakes just like everyone.

Now back to the present, the road takes approximately ten minutes just as I have predicted. My girls are already there and have ordered a small donut for me before they're sold out.

"Hola, chicas" I greet them seemingly. Don't be shocked, I can speak a little bit of Spanish. Evelyn's mom is from Mexico, so she taught us many words to use them as our secret language.

They respond with a small hello before we begin eating and conversing like our usual selves.

"Ayer hablé con mi Madre*. She agreed to book us a flight to Spain!!! ", my friend shouts suddenly.

Alice and I look at each other in shock before screaming in a voice I didn't know we possessed. Evelyn then joins our squeal and jump, encouraging us to do our victory dance.

Well, I forgot to mention that our graduation is in two months. Evelyn's mom isn't only a Latina woman; she also owns a travel agency. Since we have dreamt of taking a trip across the world before parting ways, her daughter has been persuading her to book us a flight as a graduation gift. Apparently, seeing our hard work for this semester, she approved of our plan, adding a bit of her magic to it. The most enchanting surprise is that we're going on a cruise, not just a simple trip.

So, here we go now. Two months left for our most awaited time of the year...

A/N: Feel free to comment, like, and share my story. Your support is all I need <3

*I talked with my mother yesterday