My Question

Aang

The sun weaved it's way into my hut slowly as the morning came alive, bringing me with it. It felt colder today, colder than the last day and the day before. I was beginning to realize maybe I just missed sleeping without the many layers of fur that  trapped me and sucked me down into the earth. I missed the air blowing across my skin while I watched the far away stars flicker, anticipated for what the next day would bring me. Every night was the same here, much like the days had been the last three years, ever since I left the fire nation. More like escaped.

I sat up, unwilling to take the leap to leave the hut just yet. I closed my eyes and listened for any sign of the tribe awakening around me. The wind was calm today and the tribe was silent. I was always an early riser. The rest of the world around me felt as if  it may have evaporated during the night, but it was peaceful.

I was alone in here, the southern tribe didn't allow a couple to stay in the same home as long as they were unwed. I didn't mind it at all, though I began to guess a while back that Katara did. It had been on my mind, repeatedly, what was expected and desired of me by now; an engagement.

I sighed in exaggeration, and fell back against the ground once more.

Every day, Katara left hints of our future together to pool in the back of  my mind, threatening to overflow. Her family had been shooting remarks at me, questioning my loneliness in the home built for only one, for practically the entire time I'd been here. It was as if the whole tribe was suffering, in desperate need of a wedding. I guess Gran Gran and Pakku's wedding wasn't the talk of the tribe anymore.

I wished nothing more than to understand why I still didn't know if I was ready. Betrothal wasn't rare at our age, quite common in the water tribe. But I knew my being 16 wasn't the cause of my confliction.

The past three years had molded me from a boy, into a man the tribe deemed worthy of a suitor for Katara. I learned their traditions, completed the tasks asked of me, and spent time gathered with Katara and her family each day. The silly young monk I'd once been had vanished little by little, and before I knew it, I was one of them.

And yet, despite how warmly they'd welcomed me into their family, the cold set in as I craved the life I'd been living only a few years ago, so far out of reach anymore. The adventure I'd loved had come to an end. The moment I proposed to Katara, my future here would be sealed. No matter how many trips we took away from the Southern tribe, I knew she'd always want to be here more. The girl who couldn't wait to leave this icy world, was from a different lifetime, and this place was her true home now.

I loved her though, more than the past, more than anything. Didn't I?

I shook my head, attempting to clear my thoughts, and stood up out of bed. I changed into clean clothes, lined thick with fur, and maneuvered delicately out of the hut, in hopes I wouldn't wake anyone.

My once light feet felt heavy in my boots and the snow crunched beneath me with each step towards the river. The sun hadn't completely risen yet, and the water glowed in front of me as I sat down by the edge. I watched a family of tiger seals on the other side of the river begin to open their eyes and nuzzle each other. The mother pulled her baby closer, between its paws, and my thoughts traveled again to Katara.

I needed to let go of my fear and take the leap with her. I didn't know how this would end for me, but I liked to believe Katara would be worth that risk. I would learn to accept this new life here in the southern water tribe. Katara was the closest person I had to a family, even over the rest of my gang, and I
hoped so badly I would be able make her happy.

I took the small clay pendent, the color of the sky, and a deep blue ribbon from my pocket, attaching the two together. I studied the betrothal necklace I had carved a few months back. Pakku had helped me with the clay. It was simple, but beautiful, and I knew it was exactly what Katara would want. I held it tightly in my hands hoping for a sign that this was the right thing to do.