Chapter 4: Surprise, surprise

"Samantha! Samantha, are you okay?" Daisy, I opened my eyes but it everything was a blur.

"Is she dead?" another voice said, male...

Surprisingly I don't know any male except for the ones I first encountered...

I mentally shuddered, since it seems like I couldn't move my body that much.

"I thought she'd be a better fighter" I recognized this as Maris's voice, still full on her hatred towards me.

"Maris" Daisy scolded.

"What? It's true, the last time this school had a fire-wielder, well he was very good in combat and in manipulation even before he joined the school"

"Well, she didn't even know she is a fire-wielder before she came to the school" I have got to thank Daisy for coming to my rescue.

Then suddenly, my throat was burning, you know that feeling you get when you're drowning like you just can't get that much oxygen and there's nothing you can do about it.

"Maris, stop it" the male voice ordered firmly.

I heard someone sigh, probably Maris, then the burning was gone. I gasped and drew in a lungful of air so hard that I sat up.

"Are you okay?" Daisy asked.

I nodded meekly, not sure I can talk.

"I'll go, I can't stand being in a room with an element wielder who doesn't even know how to protect herself" Maris began to turn.

"You were here a while ago with her" the male voice said.

"That doesn't count, she wasn't awake" then she stormed off without backward glance.

If I could manage it, I would have glared at her but I couldn't.

What happened to me anyway?

"You fainted" the male voice said as if reading my thoughts, I turned towards the voice and saw a cute little boy, probably 7 or 8 years old with honey-blonde hair and strikingly red eyes, at the far corner, sitting down on a white stool.

Where am I?

"The hospital" the boy said, looking at me straight in the eyes.

The hospital but then why not the clinic if I just fainted?

"The school doesn't own a clinic but it does have a private hospital" the boy said.

"Am I missing something?" Daisy asked, looking at me then to the boy then back to me again.

 "She just wants to know the basics, who, what, when, where, why and how" the boy shrugged, sounding very much like an adult.

I haven't reached the how yet and I won't be asking the when since I think I already have a good guess to answer that question...

"For the how, Maris sucked all the air in you but left enough for you to live... for a while, it's a good thing Daisy brought you here immediately and for you're when... well you already know the answer"

Right! I remember when she was suddenly in front of me and she said something, I don't want to force myself to remember, then everything went black.

"Yes, that's it exactly" the boy said.

"Okay... uhm... I'm just going to leave both of you here. I still have to go to tell our teacher about your... er... current state so she won't mark us absent, Samantha, I'm so sorry but I'll be back after okay? And uhm... will you keep her safe for me... I mean I know you're busy but please though-"