Chapter 2: New Friends

(Samantha)

"Wow, this is really good" I said as I took a bite of the chicken fillet I got from the lunch lady. So far the school thing was great but still confusing. They told me not to worry about the tuition that everything's free since I'm a wielder anyway.

I still don't get that. What do they mean about me controlling fire? sigh, welcome to the modern world!

"Daisy, is this-" a beautiful girl with golden locks and sky blue eyes looked at me.

"Yes, the new element wielder, Samantha Harte" Daisy said then she turned to me "This is Maris Le Francois, also a wielder"

I stared, stunned. Wow! she really is pretty like a princess, I smiled at her "Nice to mee-"

"What's so nice of meeting me? I don't think it's nice meeting you! and besides you don't even know me yet" she glared at me.

Okay, wow. So much for princess.

"Sorry" I murmured, looking down.

"Well you should be, just because you're the fire element wielder it doesn't mean that you can go around looking down at people,oh and one more thing, stay away from me. Excuse me" she walked away.

Ugh! I can't take it anymore!

Before she could take a step farther from our table, I grabbed her by the wrist and turned her around.

"Don't you dare talk to me like that, what did I do to you? I've never even met you before and besides I thought everyone here is special and kind, but you don't seem to be" I yelled and didn't notice the cafeteria had gone silent, everyone watching intently.

"Let go of me" she tried to pull her hand away.

"No! You tell me to stay away from you but I haven't even done anything wrong. So then I would like very much for you to stay away from me" I finally let go of her hand.

"Fine then. 10 a.m. tomorrow at the arena, loser gets to do a dare" she raised an eyebrow in challenge and walked away.

I sighed and sat down, then looked up and found everyone staring at me, wide-eyed and speechless, I glared at them "What?" startled, they all went back to their own business.

"I can't... believe... you did that" Daisy murmured.

"Huh? Finally stood up to the bully, didn't I? well thank and praise me later 'cause-" I went on

"No, you're in serious trouble" she whispered, dazed.   

"What? she can't be that good, after all, even though it's pretty hard to believe, I am a fire-element wielder and there's just two of us, element wielders, here right?" I said a little too confident.

"Yeah, that's the problem, she's the other one" she said with slight hesitation.

"Oh" geez! What had you gotten yourself into Sam??Okay, this must be the worst first day of school in the history of first days.

____________________

The afternoon came and went and, to be honest, I wanted the day to last longer... much longer, long enough for me to avoid the challenge. 

Maybe I should go and apologize, tell her violence solves nothing, that it's all my fault.... no way! it's not my fault, I mean, what happened to her anyway? did I do something wrong? grr! I will never back out.

"Are you okay?" came a voice behind me.

I never thought people spent time in the ice room... it's the only room here in Sunshine Academy that could freeze your toes off, it doesn't seem to affect me though. 

"Yeah" I murmured

"You don't look sure"

I turned around and saw a figure covered in a long white cloak, her hair was bluish white and I couldn't see her eyes.

"Okay, I admit it... I feel horrible and it's because of my stupid pride"

"Your pride is not stupid" her voice was like a lullaby... soft and light and beautiful.

"Really? thanks" I tried to smile

"Your the one who's stupid"

What?!

"Excuse me?" I turned around to face her.

"I said your stupid"

"No, I heard you" I shook my head, why are people here so mean? "What I mean is: why did you call me stupid?"

"Well, for one, nobody's stupid enough to challenge Maris and instead of training you're sulking"

"Wait! how did you know about me and Maris?"

She laughed and the sound drifted around me, making me feel slightly sleepy.

"Word travels fast, good luck Samantha, you'll face more problems than this one" she slowly faded.

How does she do it?

"I didn't get your name"

"Zara" she said softly, then was gone in a blink.

Nice! I have a schedule meeting with the most feared girl in school, met a complete stranger in a very cold room and it's just my first day. 

Sigh.

(Author's Note)

I'm really sorry about this, it's short and it took me long. I really thank all of those who commented and voted, I owe you a lot! :D

I added a little bit to it, sorry about the late updates... I rarely get the chance to go online nowadays.