Chapter 6

As tired as he was, Ben was finding it hard to keep his eyes open, but they were still wide open and his deep, green eyes scanned the page of the journal. Ben pulled the covers of the bed closer around his hunched shoulders as he began to read the next entry of Olivia's journal.

Monday, May 20

Dear Journal,

It's amazing how happiness can explode from so many places around you and fill the atmosphere. The little gestures between older couples that make the other feel so special, or the musical giggle of a young girl playing with her father.

I watched from my spot at a table in the food court as these different groups of people passed by. I grinned to myself and took another sip of my strawberry smoothie. I looked back down at my list of things to get and started mental checking things off that I have bought. I was trying to remember if I had gone to the shoe store for another pair of sneakers when my eyes snapped shut and a tried to block out the pain.

This was the fifth time in one week that this had happened and I was still in denial. It couldn't be coming back, it just couldn't! The pain slowly, but surely subsided and I reopened my eyes to see a pair of chocolate brown eyes staring at me. I jumped and let out a little squeak!

"Sorry, are you okay?" the person asked. I took a deep breath trying to control my heart rate again and then look up.

"Yeah." I replied. "Just a small headache." He laughed and nodded.

"Alright, just making sure." he said. The stranger started to walk away when I called to him.

"Wait, do you want to sit?" I asked. He grinned and eagerly sat down across from me.

"I was hoping you would ask!" he smiled. I rolled my eyes.

"So do you always roam the mall and look for lonely girls who are in distress?" I asked him, half teasing, half genuinely curious. He chuckled and shrugged.

"Eh, it's possible. It has become a little bit of a routine." The stranger replied and held out his hand.

"I'm Nathan, but you can call me Nate." he said. I took his hand and shook it.

"Olivia." I replied, with a slight smile.

I took the chance to look him over. He had short brown hair, and those chocolate brown eyes. He was wearing a red t-shirt and blue jeans. His style was simple, I like it. He was average height, maybe just a tad taller than me.

"Do you go to the University?" Nate asked. I blinked. He thought I was a college student.

"No, I'm a junior in high school." I said quietly. Nate blushed.

"Sorry, I just assumed." he said.

"Do you go to the University?" I asked.

"I will in the fall. I graduated last spring and I moved here with my sister because of a.... family situation." I nodded at his response. Not wanting to invade any personal space, I continued on.

"What's your sister's name?" I asked.

"Johanna, Johanna Temple. Lots of people call her Jo." Nate replied. I nodded.

"What are you going to study at the University?" I asked.

"Not sure yet. That's my project for the summer. I'm thinking education." he said thoughtfully.

"That's a good choice." I said. An awkward pause followed my response. We sat there staring at each other with awkward smiled on our faces. Finally, he broke the silence at the same time my phone buzzed.