Chapter 8

I'm back, and summer is here so there is more time for writing! :) Here's the eighth chapter! Enjoy! :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ben sat at the table with a mug of hot cocoa in his hands. He was exhausted. After the night at the cemetery and then getting up early for work the next morning, all he wanted to do was curl back up in bed and slip into a deep sleep. As Ben finished off his cocoa, he remembered the journal and went back to his room to continue reading. Suddenly, he didn't feel quite so tired.

Saturday, June 1

Dear Journal,

I never want to step foot in a hospital ever again! After several days of monitoring me and running tests, the doctor finally let me leave. Unfortunately, I need to go back every two weeks or so for small checkups to make sure I am doing alright. Hopefully, I won't have to spend too much time in that dreadful place!

About a week after I finally got out of the hospital, I texted Nathan.

To: Nate Temple

Want to meet up?

I set my phone on my dresser and took a deep breath, looking in the mirror. I tucked a loose strand of hair behind my ear and then went to my closet to select my outfit for the day. A couple seconds later, my phone buzzed twice, signaling a text message.

From: Nate Temple

Sure! When and where?

I smiled and typed a reply.

To: Nate Temple

1 hour at the mall?

I got dressed and slipped my phone in my pocket and then went to do my hair and makeup. After completing my morning routine, I slipped on my shoes and headed downstairs. Reaching the bottom, I found Eleanor sitting on the couch staring at her phone all dressed up.

"Going somewhere?" I asked her. She looked up suddenly.

"I have a date, but he is running late." she replied. I raised my eyebrows.

"Really, now?" I asked. "Who's the lucky guy?" Eleanor rolled her eyes.

"Jackson Moss." she replied timidly. I stiffened.

"What?" I asked, shell-shocked. "Why?"

"He asked me out, and I figured it wouldn't hurt, right?"

"But, but he's a jerk!" I nearly shouted. Elle looked angry now.

"You don't know that!" she argued, standing up from the couch.

"Yes I do!" I argued back. "He won't show, just watch, he doesn't actually care about girls."

"Sure, Liv." Elle huffed, sitting back down. "I'm not having this fight with you right now."

"I have to go. I will see you later." I told my sister.

I picked up my purse and checked my phone once more before heading into the kitchen to find my mom. I found her chopping apples for a pie. I swiped one and grinned at the dirty look she shot at me.

"May I borrow the car?" I asked her sweetly.

"Sure, sweetie, just be back by dinner." she replied. I grinned.

"Thanks!" I kissed my mother's cheek before picking up the keys and heading out the door.

Pulling into the mall parking lot, I had the radio blasting and the windows down. I parked the car, and slipped off my sunglasses before collecting my things and heading into the mall. I headed to the mall food court and did a bit of window shopping on the way there. When I reached the food court, I saw Nate sitting at a table with a girl who looked very familiar. I approached them and waved at Nate.