twelve

chapter twelve
Mastiff Bright-Ridge

(unedited — feel free to correct any errors)

JACKSON sat on the waiting room floor between Veronica and Bettys legs. Jughead and a shaking Archie sat across from him, both on their seats like Betty and Veronica were. Benji and Kayden had left to pick up Sweet Pea to take him back to the Doherty-Winston household, as he couldn't stay at the Wyrm or his trailer. Jackson wasn't really paying attention to Archie explaining what happened, or anything at all. his mind was on Sweet Pea, his mum, everything.

after passing out, he'd came to only five minutes after. Leilani explained that Jughead called and after once receiving no answer, left a hasty message to meet at the hospital as soon as he could. Jackson left in a hurry, ignoring the ache behind his eyes and the dizziness with moving too quick.

Archie stood and paced past him, Jackson blinked and looked at Archies empty seat. a crease formed on his forehead as he frowned, eyes shifting to Jughead. Jughead mouthed 'going to call his mum', his eyes flitting to Alice Cooper as she sighed dramatically, eyes directly on Jughead through their corners. Jackson thought he should probably be with Sweet Pea. Archie had enough people here to support him. would anyone notice if Jackson left?

Jughead's eyebrow propped up, asking confusedly, "what?"

"Mum, do not start this," Betty leaned forward , eyes locked on her mother as she shook her head. her blonde pony tail swished as she did. Jackson closed his eyes, the ache behind them only worsening the more he kept them open, a groan rippling from the back of his throat as his head lolled back against the chairs and then to Bettys thigh.

"start what?" Jughead still sounded confused, and Jackson could see his frown without having to actually see it.

"well, of course i can't help but wonder if your Southside associates had anything to do with what happened to Fred," Jackson picked his head up, glaring at Alice as he heard her words. he opened his mouth, ready to defend his gang, but Jughead had already bit back his reply. smug as always.

"at least you cant accuse my father of being the shooter considering he's in jail."

"oh my god, i can't handle this," Veronica whined, leaning back in her chair. Betty followed suit and Veronica used it to her advantage, leaning against the blondes shoulder. Jackson was still glaring at his Aunt, jaw locking up as he clenched it. Alice soon caught onto his glare. she looked at her nephew with a cocked brow, challenging him.

Jackson didnt let his glare up, not even after Alice verbally acknowledged him, "what? why on Earth do you keep glaring?"

"i just don't like you accusing my gang of shit they have any part in," Jackson grumbled, pushing himself to his feet. he was only a few inches taller than Alice, but from this distance he didn't need to look down to look her in the eyes, and she didn't need to look up to meet his.

"your gang?" Alice's voice was mocking almost, and Jackson scrunched his hands up in his hoodie pocket. nails digging sharply into his skin — he was sure his knuckles were white by bow. he took a step forward.

"yup. my gang. FP left me running the show, and i may have been running it for only a week, but i know none of them would do that. they're too scared to deal anything other than weed, do you really think they'd go robbing milkshake diners and shooting people?" Jackson's glare never left his face, challenging Alice right back. Alice eventually huffed and backed down, but Jackson knew she still believed the Serpents had something to do with Fred being shot, and probably always would even if they were proven to be innocent.