ten

chapter ten
explaining

(unedited — feel free to correct any errors)

JACKSON smiled sweetly and waved at a dishevelled Jughead, the Serpent jacket he was about to give to the Jones slung over his shoulder. he really didn't want to be there. Joshua had gotten home hours ago, meaning Jackson would be in deep shit again for being out. his lower back ached and the bruises he knew were forming stung as much as his fists did, and he knew Tallboy was trying to replace him by recruiting Jughead.

despite the man being a grown adult, and Jackson being sixteen, Tallboy still picked immature arguments with him. Jackson figured he had some bad blood with Joshua.

Hotdog barked, and the Serpent holding the dog by the collar shushed him, "easy Hotdog. he's family."

"hey," Jughead staggered out confused, his confused eyes switching from Jackson, to the group of Serpents behind them, to Tallboy a couple times. Jackson looked at Tallboy, and then back to Jughead to let the Jones know the Serpent had something to say.

"heard your dad could've named names but didn't," Tallboy started, the drizzling rain lightly hitting the roof of the tin can FP called a home. when he wasn't in jail, anyways. "Serpents take care of their own. we wanted you to know, no matter what happens to him, however long he's gone, we got your back."

Jackson took that as his cue to fling the jacket back over his shoulder, holding it up with bandaged fingers so the logo was showing. it was a jacket like his. a double headed snake instead of a coiled one like the rest of the Serpents had.

"its yours, Jug," Jackson held it out towards him, cheekily adding on after a quick thought with a grin, "if you want it, of course."

Jughead looked at Jackson, and then Tallboy, before his eyes moved to the jacket. they skimmed over the logo as he reached out and grabbed it gently from Jacksons hand. he smirked up at everyone, before tugging the jacket over his shirt. Jackson watched Jughead get comfortable in the jacket that fit him like a glove, his eyes wandering to the trailer just through a small opening he knew was Sweet Peas. the lounge room light was on, and after a quick look he saw Sweet Peas dads car was nowhere in sight.

"i, uh, gotta go. dad needs me home. bye," Jackson pat Hotdog goodbye after waving to everyone and made his way towards the trailer. he checked again for Sweet Peas fathers car, and once he knew for sure the man wasn't around he climbed the three shitty stairs to the tiny wood deck built in front of the door. he counted down from three in his head, knocking before he even had a chance to get to one.

he held his breath. waiting, and waiting for the Serpent to finally open the door. he almost chickened out. well he did. his foot was on the top step, the other ready to get onto the next to carry him down the stairs, but the door flung open, and Jackson froze in his spot. fuck. he did not think this through.