17 || losing you

"Corina is catching on to us," I said as Peter, Cady, Julie and I sat in a circle in my room. Being around Peter since our kiss was super uncomfortable, but with Cady and Julie as buffers, we were sort of off the hook.

"What does that mean?" Peter asked nervously, looking at Cady.

"It means we have to find you a way home soon before she figures out too much," Julie said, shaking her head.

"Are you sure?" Cady asked, frowning. "I don't want to give up Peter just yet."

Neither do I.

"We don't really have a choice." I said, not making eye contact with him.

"Y/N's right." Peter said, sounding sad. "I have to go back. Do you guys... have a way for me to do that?"

"I think so." Julie said.

"But it's gonna take us a couple more days." Cady said quickly, and she shared a look with Julie.

"...Right. Do you need my help?" I asked suspiciously.

"Nope. We got it." Julie nodded. She checked the time, standing up. "We better go." Cady nodded, too.

"See you guys tomorrow." Cady said, waving as they left the room. Peter looked sad as they exited, and since our kiss, I wasn't sure the correct way to comfort him.

Could I even still do that?

"Peter-"

"Hey, Y/N?" My Mom interrupted, rapping on the door. Panic filled my eyes as I ushered Peter towards the closet, who bounded over and got inside.

"Uh, one sec!" I called, watching him shut the door. I cleared my throat. "Come in!" My Mom entered the room, smiling.

"Hi, honey. I just saw Julie and Cady leave, is everything okay?" I nodded.

"Yup! Everything's perfect." I said, grinning, trying to figure out a way to get her out of the room before Peter accidentally knocked something over in my closet.

"Okay, just wanted to be sure." She said, a smile still on her face as she turned to leave. "Oh, by the way, do you have a boyfriend?" My eyes widened.

"What? No." I said far too quickly, but it didn't matter; it was the truth.

"Oh, well, I heard from Elizabeth - you know, Corina's mother - that Corina told her you had a boyfriend." I sighed, rolling my eyes.

Of course.

"No, I don't have a boyfriend. Corina saw me hanging out with this kid from my history class - we're working on a project together - and she assumed we were a couple. No matter how many times I tell her we're not, she won't listen." I explained, and my mom nodded.

"Okay, well, if you ever want to talk to me, y/n, you know you always can."

"I know, Mom. Don't worry." I smiled. She left the room, finally satisfied, I sighed with relief and headed over to the closet, opening the door to see Peter sprawled out on the floor.

"Nice save," He complimented.

"Thank you, I try." I smiled. Even though the kiss still lingered in my mind, I tried to pretend that nothing happened.

Peter looked as if something was still on his mind, and I couldn't help but wonder if it had to do with our conversation from last night.

I was thinking about it, too. I had feelings for Peter, but we weren't meant to be. How could we be? He wasn't even real in my universe.

"I like you, Y/N." He blurted, and I looked at him, my eyes wide.

Did he just say what I think he said?

"What?"

"I like you. I know that we're not supposed to be together because of this... two different dimension crap but I like you, and I don't care anymore, because I can't leave without telling you how I feel." I felt my heart beat faster than ever as he spoke, surprise and excitement rippling through my chest as he finished.

"I..."

"You don't have to say anything, because I know you don't feel the same, but-"

"I do." I cut him off. He blinked.

"You... you do?"

"I do. I really do," I smiled, and so did Peter.

"So what does this mean?"

"What do you want it to mean?" I asked, looking at him earnestly.

"We don't have a lot of time left." Peter said, and I realized he was right.

"We'll just have to make sure that we use it to our time wisely," I decided. "We can... we can make it work."

"Yeah," Peter nodded. "Yeah, yeah, sure." I smiled again.

"We're gonna make this work."

"Yes," Peter said, smiling, making his way over to me. He put his hands on my shoulders. "Can I... kiss you now?" I nodded, laughing. Peter leaned in and kissed me, and I kissed him back, running my hands through his hair.

(A/N: Thank you guys so much for so many reads on this book! It means so much to me!! I will hopefully have another part out tomorrow, so stay tuned!)