Meeting The Dean (18)

I follow too kind-Karen (my new nickname for the ray of sunshine) into 'the deans' office and am shocked to see I know the face behind the desk. 

   "Hey Blythe! Nice place you've got here. Real homey," I say and toss myself onto her couch. She gives me a deadpanned look and looks at kind-Karen in expectation. I take a mint off of Blythe's desk and pop it into my mouth before making myself comfortable on the couch. 

   "Well?" Blythe says annoyed to kind-Karen. I look at her in amusement and move towards her a little to see her quickly move away from the couch. I lightly chuckle and Blythe notices the interaction. She raises and annoyed eyebrow at kind-Karen. 

   "I refuse to work with the future Cortona mafia child," she says. 

   "You job isn't to worry about what mafia these children are in. It is to help them move along as fast as possible in their program. The sooner we get them through the system, the more we get paid. Sydnee, you need to consider your job and not the child you're helpings life," Blythe says to the girl who I now knows name is Sydnee. I look at her with an innocent face. Blythe shoots me a warning look. I look at her in a way that tells her I am not scared of her. 

   "I will not work with a Cortona child. There is no discussion. The last Cortona child I worked with killed their building buddy and then got killed by his own father before Mr. Grayson took over and married Adelynn. I refuse to be responsible for another Cortona child. Never again, Blythe." Sydnee says. This raises my attention. There was another heir before Grayson? 

   "My name to you is Mrs. Graybell and you will respectfully call me so," Blythe says in a warning tone. 

   "I will not work for another Cortona. Find another sponsor." Blythe nods and dismisses her with a wave of her hand. 

    "Nice place you've got Blythe. You're workers are terrified of a seventeen year old teenage girl that weighs next to nothing," I look at her and give her a pointed look. 

   "I do wish you wouldn't talk to me as if we are friends or disrespect me in front of my workers," Blythe says annoyed. I smile at her. 

   "Well this is what you get for knocking me out with your head and then beating the crap out of me before forcing those monkeys to continue your dirty work. By the way the one that talks-" 

   "Greg," Blythe interrupts me. I roll my eyes and nod. 

   "Greg is super annoying. He did nothing and just talked the whole time. It was enraging to listen to his voice." 

   "They were supposed to get information out of you. Where you're from, where Adelynn lives, how many guards patrol her home, how many other organizations fall under her wing. I hear you said nothing." 

   "Can't really tell someone something you don't know," I tell her honestly. "But, even if I did I would never do that to Adelynn. She has protected me by opening her home and giving me a life I could have never even dreamed of. I'll protect her to the best of my ability to repay the favor." Blythe nods and write something down before flipping through a notebook. 

   "And what is your relationship with your guard... um, Austin?" she asks before looking at the name again. "You know, he went through this program too. Not because he was next in line or anything, his father just wanted to punish him and show him how his life really was." I nod, already figuring that Austin was more than a handful when he was younger and that if he worked for the mafia he had to be connected somehow. Blythe nods. 

   "Austin is my best friend. Nothing more. Besides I know what you are insinuation. I am a lesbian." Blythe tries not to act surprised and writes something down. 

   "We would have had to change your sponsor anyways with that information. There's a reason most boys get boy trainers and girls get girls. Can't have you guys distracted by desire when in this program. I will have a male sponsor ready for you after our meeting." 

   "I didn't know this was a meeting?" I said stretching over her couch and listening to is creak against my weight. 

   "Might as well since you're already here and I need background to see how to best make your program go as fast as possible." 

   "Oh yeah. Money and all." 

   "It is more than just the money," Blythe says. 

   "I'll tell Adelynn you guys did your job well," I say and roll my eyes. "Maybe she'll pay you more." 

   "The more you like it here, the worst I did my job, Madelynn. This isn't summer camp." 

   "Oh darn. Could have fooled me," I say and roll my eyes. She shakes her head at me before continuing to write things down. She presses a button and a man comes in the room. 

   "This is Domonic," Blythe says. 

   "Like demonic and Dominic together. I like it," I tell her. He chuckles and gives me a smile. 

   "She is funny," he says in a deep voice. Oh thank God I am getting a sponsor with a sense of humor. I thought I would die of boredom in here. 

   "Am I allowed to tell him how dangerous I am?" I ask Blythe. 

   "You're not dangerous. Past children from your mafia were dangerous and Sydnee has a weak stomach about those types of things," Blythe tells me. 

   "Then I guess you won't be scared of my last name," I say to Domonic. 

   "I don't scare easily," he says with a grin. 

   "Nice you meet you. I guess my new name is Madelynn Cortona," I say and stand up to shake his hand. He raises an eyebrow at the last name but shakes my hand none-the-less. 

   "Now I see why Sydnee wouldn't work with you. I am going to have so much fun," Grayson says the last part sarcastically. I nod. 

   "I was hoping you would say that," I say and smile up at him.