Regrets

(Image not mine)

Once Dumbledore had given Harry that strange bit of advice, he herded the boy out of his office with the excuse that it was getting very late. After the door shut behind him, Dumbledore turned to us expectantly. "Well, what is it that you three have come to tell me?"

"Hogwarts is in danger," Lucy blurted, looking stressed. "There's someone here working for You-Know-Who."

"I hope you don't mean Severus or Igor," Dumbledore frowned, "That memory you just experienced should've made it clear that they are no threat to us."

"It's not them, sir," Edmund said, "Someone else within these walls is working to bring him back. Don't worry, we have plenty of proof."

"Spit it out, then! Who in this castle could possibly be working for Voldemort without me knowing?"

"Alastor Moody,"

Dumbledore grew silent and an eerie calm took over his usually kind features. He opened the wooden door he stood by and motioned for us to leave. "I will not have you telling such lies about one of my oldest friends. Leave, now."

"But sir-!" Lucy tried to protest but was pushed out of the door by an unknown force.

Edmund was next, stumbling onto the stairs just outside the door. Realizing I had maybe a second before I was shoved out as well, I opened my mouth to shout the one thing he might listen to, "It's polyj-"

The door slammed shut in my face, locking itself. Frustrated, I kicked hard against the wood. It shuddered but didn't give. Whipping out my wand, I shouted the unlocking charm at the lock, but it didn't work. Even angrier, I slammed a fist against the door, "You listen to me right now, old man! I'm so tired of everyone dismissing us as confused little kids! If you don't listen, more people could die!"

There was no response. I suspected there were a few sound-blocking charms on the door. Knowing it was useless to continue, I turned around, stomping past the other two. They trailed after me, jogging to keep up.

"What are we going to do?" Edmund questioned.

"I don't know,"

"Who would possibly listen to us now?" Lucy cried.

"I don't know,"

"Do you have a plan?"

"No!" I exploded, stopping in my tracks. Tears of frustration blurred my vision. "I don't know! I don't always have the answers, you know. I'm just as lost as you are. I have no idea how we're going to fix this without endangering others."

Edmund reached to touch my shoulder, "Y/n-"

I swatted his hand away, "No, don't try to tell me it's all alright because it isn't. For all we know, we're the only people with the knowledge to stop You-Know-Who from returning to kill us all."

He frowned, no doubt hurt by my harsh actions. "We know what's at stake here, Y/n. We already know that our next move can mean life or death for thousands of people and we're trying our best."

"Well, clearly it's not enough," I regretted the words as soon as they left my mouth but didn't stop. "If I hadn't taken your advice and acted sooner, none of this would've happened. Crouch wouldn't be dead!"

"Don't try to turn this on me!" Ed shouted.

"Oh, so it's all my fault then?"

"That's not what I'm saying-"

"Shut it!" Lucy threw her hands down in frustration. "Both of you! This is just the pressure getting to you. We need to keep our wits about us and work to fix this. Fighting won't help anything."