Chapter Two : Page 6

Three months have passed, and multiple letters had been exchanged between the teens. Elara was now home from the hospital, with many medications and treatments that she had to follow. She was no longer allowed to go to school, as her immune system had been significantly compromised, and everything outside was a threat to her now. She still hadn't told Charlie about her illness; in her mind, she was not going to say to him either. Her Dad even worked on the farm most days till late. Which left Elara home alone and doing online work for her teachers; her life had changed so drastically in the last few months, and she was now beginning to feel the effect of her medications more often. The tiredness was a big thing, and then eating was the next; she had to eat before or after different medicines, but every time she looked at food, Elara felt sick. She also had blood work taken each week by the hospital, something Elara couldn't stand. Having a fear of needles was no joke, Each time, she had to take her brother or Dad with her. Every week the only thing she had to look forward to was Charlie and his letters.

Every now and then, Elara would daydream, imagining what Charlie might look like in person. Elara always imaged him to be tall, with dark hair and dark brown eyes, with quite a toned boys. As she daydreamed, sometimes she would fall asleep as she did; those were the dreams where Charlie came alive to her. With his voice masculine and comforting, he also had the sweetest smile; with a pleasing look on his face when all seemed wrong, Charlie to Elara felt like home. Usually, she was jolted out of these dreams by the dogs barking at the postman or Archie, Elara's hours, putting its head through the window.

Archie missed Elara riding him every evening. Her Dad put him in the field next to the house so that Elara didn't have to go far to care for him. He knew Archie wouldn't have anyone else put his food down, and Elara would go against everything the doctors said to see him. Elara smiled and went over to pet him, knowing he was missing her. Archi was a nuisance when they first had him and often tried to kick her Dad, but one day Elara took the task of giving him food, and well, the rest was history. they formed a connection one else could. "Hey Arch, I see you want another sugar cube." Elara giggled as she rested her head on his nose. then giving him a sweet treat. Archie then made a small noise and left the window again.

Elara then grabbed a blanket and sat back down, picking up the remote and flicking through the Tv channels. Before long, she was greeted by her brother, who noticed she had left the window open; Cove quickly shut it before checking on Elara. Talking about what happened around the farm today. She then guided him over to the food she had made, both him and her Dad, which kept warm in the oven. He also handed Elara the letter addressed to her, which was left on the door matt. "I guess Charlie wrote back today." Cove smiled as he walked to the kitchen. "Yeah, I totally forgot that the mail had come today. I don't think the dogs even barked?" Elara giggled as she slid her hands back and forth the paper envelope. Hesitating to open the letter, seeming cautious of the response. Cove, as he moved his messy mop hair out of his face, looked at her with confusion at her actions. When he came back to the sofa with his food, he decided to ask here.

"Elowen- Elara, why haven't you opened Charlie's letter?" Elara looked at him with her bright blue eyes. She didn't say anything for a second; she felt so guilty awful about what she was about to say. "Because I asked him something last week, and I don't know if I want an honest answer or a lie." Elara sighed runs fingers through her dark, wavy brunette hair around her finger in stress. Cove shrugged, now with slight inquisitive feelings towards the letters; " What did you tell him, El, anyway surely if you asked some part of you must know?" Cove informed her as Elara raised her eyebrows in acceptance.

She then proceeded to open the letter and read.

'Dear El,

This week has been good; I was happy when I finally got my finishing grade for the year, an A for all tests. Can you believe that I am off to College in September and my High School years are over? This is something that seems a distant goal, and now it's here. The hard work seems forgotten now, and all that matters is M.I.T accepted my application only yesterday. I have taken the offer, and I am so excited to be going. Your week seemed like it was good as well; I hope you pass the course and get results soon. If you don't already have them, to your question, you ask about prom.

No, I do not have a prom date; there is no one I would want to go with. Plus, I have Nate. He is my best friend and right-hand man; we will definitely be there together and dance with our friends. But you can be my date if you like; I mean, you could go out into your many fields this weekend and dance in the more than likely rain. I will be there in spirit, jamming out to our songs we record to each other every week. I have also been thinking this may be a little forward, El, which doesn't have to be now. But just maybe one day would you like to meet, I can come to you, or you can come to me. I am only curious about what you look like and sounds like, aren't you about me, El?

Anyway, please think about it; I am sure you will answer me best. The sky here today is gray. I am very into metal bands this week, and the place of writing hasn't changed in my little room in my tiny townhouse.

All the best

your best stranger Charlie.'