A Reluctant Reunion

Very few of the Pantheon get the respect they rightfully deserve. Especially the goddesses. Most of them are reduced to eye-candy while others are simply seen as someone else's wife. While these goddesses demanded respect, only one of them truly received it.

War is defined by blood and honor. Ares would have you believe it's that simple. Men go to war every day, they fight to kill, they die to protect, they continue onward to avenge. But there is so much more to war. It's not enough to know how to pick up a spear and throw it, how to hold a blade and wound someone, how to aim a gun and shoot a target. War is much more than what man says it is. You don't win based on weapons, the size of your army, the reputation of your leader. War is an endless game with moving parts and multiple outcomes. War is strategy.

Athena has always been the smartest, the wisest of the group. Zeus' favorite though he claims he doesn't have favorites. Despite this, she has always felt the need to prove her worth, prove to everyone just how clever she is. Everything to her was a game, a contest. Every interaction with someone became an opportunity to turn them into a complete and utter fool. Intelligence has always been Athena's greatest gift but like all the gods, pride got in the way of her precious talent. Knowledge can be a heavy burden.

Looking at her now, her slate-grey eyes appeared stern but devoid of any life. Her dark auburn hair, tied in a braided ponytail, showed signs of age as specks of silver reflected in the sunlight. Deep in thought, her furrowed brow revealed several wrinkles that settled themselves when she looked up and caught me staring.

It took her a second to compose herself; adjusting her glasses atop the ridge of her nose, smoothing out her navy blazer, fastening the middle two golden buttons as she began to get up, pushing her wooden chair against the floor. She then made her way around her desk, looking downward as she did so before standing in the center and leaning against it. She then folded her arms across her chest, inhaling deeply as she did so. When she finally looked up to meet my gaze, a warm but uneasy smile formed on her lips.

"It's been a long time, Medusa." she stated.

Her defiant pose displayed authority but something in her tone of voice faltered.

One of the many things I adored about my goddess, one of the things that drew me to her, made me pledge my loyalty and my life to her was her unwavering confidence. Today, it was missing.

"Too long Athena." I responded.