⎯⎯ And So, It Starts

I never really liked dogs

I never really liked dogs. Or lions. I mean, lions look fluffy but obviously they're dangerous. Sometimes I think, what if the rest of the canine family hates me because I killed one of them with my friend's itak? Then I think of the feline family and how both cats and dogs would hate me. That's okay. I'm not an animal lover.

Oh, you want an explanation? I'm getting to it. So we start somewhere in late 2019, when me and two friends were walking down a street in our neighborhood.

My best friend Laurence kicked a pebble forward and it landed a few steps ahead of me. I kicked it too, but as usual, I messed up and kicked it too hard. It flew to the middle of the road.

"Oh, wow," he said, nodding and putting his fist in the air. He would have clapped, but he was holding the handle of his scooter in the other hand. "Amazing."

It was easy for him to say that. He had been the most athletic person I'd known since we were 8. Well, I was 8 and he was 9. In the 4 years that we had known each other, we had gotten used to how the other person would act.

I rolled my eyes, bumping his shoulder and smirking at how he was still a little shorter than me. "Shut it."

"Can you not show off?" Mia grinned playfully on my left side.

"I'm not showing off," Laurence complained.

"Tell that to 9 year old me," I muttered.

"You're making this worse, Diana."

"And did I say I would be on your side?"

Laurence, or RenRen, gave up, got on his scooter and went ahead. On our 2 o'clock, the sun shone brightly above the houses and buildings. A short distance ahead on our left stood a gate leading to the street me and my friends would always play. Well, mostly just RenRen, me, and his sister because he's my only friend who lives close enough for us to go on "adventures" where we would roam around or play. That street was a good area because one end was gated off, which meant not as many cars would pass through as they would on a regular street.

"Diana!" RenRen called.

"What?!" I yelled back. He gestured for us to follow, swinging his scooter over the lower bar of the gate.