⎯⎯ Hello, How Are You? Philip is Under the Water, Please Help Him

The day was not going well

The day was not going well. And good God, my back hurt. 

We had to be at Arden's uncle's place before 9 A.M., you see. And we were. Well, most of us, because Mia insisted on teaching Philip how to commute. They arrived at around 9:15. We had gathered in the backyard, sitting on the plastic chairs and eating monay bread that I brought with me. Our bags filled with clothes and supplies lay on the ground or on the tables, prepared to be stuffed in the back of the van which would soon arrive to pick us up. 

Beside me, Elize yawned, closing her eyes as she put her headphones on. I had an idea why. She had probably stayed up late, as usual. And, to be fair, it was summer, so most students would have savored the free hours of sleep they had. Arden's uncle from her dad's side had a house way farther from where Elize lived, so she had to wake up early to be dropped off.

Said uncle walked out of the kitchen's back door holding a mug filled with black coffee and asked where our ride was. RenRen replied for us, saying that they had gotten caught up in traffic. The uncle went back inside.

"Why don't you take your bag, off, Ana?" RenRen asked me. I stubbornly refused, for I was the exact opposite of Elize. 

Again, I liked to take in a lot of fiction, which meant I liked to take in a lot of adventurous stories. So I woke up absolutely thrilled, making getting ready and dressed for the day felt like a flash. I could barely remember eating breakfast due to how excited I was.

Unfortunately, though, the minutes in that backyard passed by quickly and slowly at the same time, and the excitement was starting to wear off. The back of my neck was sticky with sweat and something in my backpack pressed uncomfortably against my shoulder blades.

I'm pretty sure my thighs, armpits, the rest of my neck, and back were also sweating a lot. Damn puberty. I don't know how Aerron was still wearing his hoodie, lurking in the shadows as usual with his headphones turned up so loud I was sure Philip, who sat beside him, was listening to his music too.

I looked longingly at the pool sitting with us in the backyard, tiles clean and water rippled by the occasional leaf that would fall in. I wished I could take a dip, or at least sit on the edge with my legs in the water, but I was wearing jeans and I didn't feel like having to tie my shoelaces again.