⎯⎯ Discussions

Mia didn't take her eyes off of it

Mia didn't take her eyes off of it. "Does anyone have a plan?"

"It's getting closer," I whispered, holding out an arm in front of them as it lumbered toward us.

"Don't move," Elize said.

"What?" Mia snapped.

"Don't move until I say so."

"How fast can those things run?" I asked.

Elize shook her head. "I'm not good with numbers, you know that. Just...wait." She gripped my shirt and a chill went down my spine. The monster eyed us hungrily. Was it going to kill us and just kill us? Or would it eat us? Or-whatever. All of that was blocked from my mind when it started running straight at us.

"Don't worry, don't worry," Elize kept repeating to us. It didn't sound like she was saying it to reassure herself at all.

"Uhh, Elize," I stuttered as it ran to us. Her grip on my shirt started to hurt.

It came closer, and closer, and closer to the point that my breathing hitched. In a fraction of a second, the creature would reach us and we'd be pressed against the wall. Then my back hit the wall, but not the one we were facing away from. Elize had pushed all of us to the side so the monster crashed against the barrier.

While it steadied itself, Elize gripped her katana, I took the sheath, and Mia grasped her knife. Elize made the first move and swung her katana, but it retaliated and pounced. The only thing keeping its teeth away from her face was the blade.

Mia was hesitating where to stab it. Elize's arms were too close for a proper aim for Mia's knife. I jabbed it in the stomach and once it was off Elize, Mia stabbed the monster and it screeched. I flinched at that, still holding the sheath. I was afraid I'd break it.

The feeling of monkey limbs squeezing my own was strange. And it hurt. Especially when the monkey body itself was heavier and trying to kill me. I wanted to put it on the floor and pin it down, but it was flailing around too much.

Mia went in to stab it again, but it let go of me so she missed. Elize tried to strike and cut the monster's leg as it jumped off and used Elize by jumping onto her back, then off to Mia.