⎯⎯ Dinner and...What?

The sun got more intense as we traveled, and the road just stretched on and on

The sun got more intense as we traveled, and the road just stretched on and on. Some gas stations we stopped at didn't smell the best, and the water I accidentally spilled on my seat wasn't top tier comfort either. By 3 pm, our cheeks had gotten sore from smiling and the excitement had worn off. 

Mia had fallen asleep, curled up in a Mia-sized blanket against the back corner of the van. Arden too. A small sketchbook was tucked between her arm and her side, pencil pushed into the coil of her sketchbook. My mouth was dry. Someone's stomach growled. Was it Arden's? RenRen's? Maybe it was mine. Who knew? 

I felt nice and warm. I closed my eyes, and when I opened them, the sun was starting to set and the sound of plastic crinkling against a surface tickled my ears. 

Elize was holding a pack of crackers and poking me with them. "Ito muna daw kainin natin. Nasa Bulacan na tayo, naghahanap lang sila kung sa'n tayo pwede kumain." ("Have this first. We're already in Bulacan, Millard and Beatrice are just looking for a place where we can eat.")

My watch told me it was almost 4 in the afternoon. I had taken a short nap. Millard hummed a song in the front seat. Elize had her phone open on her lap. 

I nodded and took the crackers. As I chewed, I saw small houses and buildings approaching. Just a town. Trees were also popping up in clusters. The rice fields then disappeared and we were driving along the streets of a small municipality. 

The sun was practically waving goodbye to us. Trucks half loaded with gas tanks, chickens, or planks of wood passed by our van. Kids were playing on the streets. Arden sat up straight beside me, rubbing her eyes. "Where are we?"

"Bulacan," I replied, holding out my crackers. She shook her head, so I went and stared straight ahead again. I ended up zoning out. 

I came back to my senses when we hit a particularly deep dent in the road. Someone behind me was jerked awake; I could hear. RenRen sat up blinking, hair sticking out in all directions in a messy mop of dark brown. Haha. That was cute. I mean, what?

"Diana," he said. Then he cleared his throat and said my name again. 

"Good morning to you too, good sir!" I said sarcastically. He nodded and leaned against the window. No good morning back? Aww.