⎯⎯ Rerouting

A line was forming at the bathrooms, so we couldn't change clothes at the restaurant

A line was forming at the bathrooms, so we couldn't change clothes at the restaurant. Beatrice gave our payment at the counter, took Millard's packed dinner out of Philip's bag and did a head count as we got onto the van again. I could hear her and Millard speaking, but I don't think it was anything to be suspicious about. They weren't even trying to hide it, but we all had a right to hear anyway.

"Do you think more people would be on the roads at this time? Seven in the evening?"

"Well, there's a fair amount of restaurants around here so there might be moderate traffic when we leave, but if you mean the highway—"

"Yes, the highway. Where's our map?"

"It's in the cup holder in the front, I think. Thank you, Laurence. Quezon province, you say?"

"Yes. Er, Ophelia called. The lab's there, and it's best we set off now."

"Here? It does seem close to a beach."

"Yes. You can switch out for me at about a third of the way, right?"

"Of course. Let's stop at a gas station so we can change into new clothes as well."

Millard, back in his cargo shorts and polo shirt again, folded up our cheap plastic map of the Philippines and tapped a finger on Sandra's sliding door. "Is everyone ready?"

We all said yes. Aerron sighed behind me. I texted my mom goodnight so she wouldn't get suspicious. Then I went to poke RenRen's shoulder. "I'm bored."

"Hm? Do you want to play Truth or Dare then?"

"Sure. Are you gonna say something, or...?"

"Huh? No, you first."

"Okay, truth or dare."

"Truth."

"What is a food you hate?"

"Anything sour. Truth or dare?"

"Truth."

"What's your battery number right now?"

"Percentage?" We were driving out of the parking lot now. Goodbye, Bulacan. I opened my phone. "63. That's a boring question."