Grief Is A Blindfold

Daniel watched his son go away and fought the urge to follow. Sitting back in his seat in a disappointed slump; he put his hand to his chin in thought. 

"You disapprove of my judgment, brother?" Antonio noticed his brother's despair. 

"Did you have to be so hard on him..?" he looked up from his blank stare, and towards him. 

Antonio leaned to his side of the seat to look at him fully, "Daniel, you must understand," he coaxed, "David is at a rebellious stage in his life. It's your job as his father to keep him from making mistakes that aren't so reversible." he said.

Daniel looked down and nodded briefly, "That I know, but," he sighed, "Antonio, I still see my baby boy.." he looked down at his calloused hands, "I still see Her."

Antonio put a comforting hand on Daniel's shoulder, "I know, hermano." he sighed, "But you can't be so soft with boy because of Carmen."

Daniel looked at him. 

"He's not his mother. He's a troublemaker." Antonio told him. "Spreading lies about our kingdom, almost ruining our business, and even going as so far to undermine yours and my authority. He is no good Daniel."

"Have I really been so blind?" he looked at his brother. The younger sibling gave him a sympathetic look, "Daniel. It's plenty obvious." he said. "Your boy has been so rambunctious these days. Sure, he was a cute little boy before, but not anymore. You've been letting him get away with his schemes too much. You've let your feelings for you lost wife get the better of you." he said. 

Daniel looked down at the mention of Carmen again. Perhaps that's why he couldn't bring himself to stand earlier. 

"Don't worry big brother. I'll take David under my wing." he assured him. "I will. And I'll make sure that he stays away from trouble." he looked at him. Daniel believed that his brother wanted to help. And who better to discipline his son, than Antonio? The King. If he could cradle the kingdom, surely he could help with David. 

"Now come, hermano," Antonio smiled, "There's no way you're making an appearance to the fiesta wearing that." he gestured to his outfit. Daniel stood up with him and scoffed as they walked out of the throne-room to get ready for the big night.