A Reason To Stay Alive For

Alexa stared at the cobblestone floor of her chambers as she relayed the events of last night. Trying to comprehend how her father was alive just hours before and now suddenly, he was non existent. Taken so easily, she might have feared death herself. 

After the Prince's outburst, dinner proceeded like normal. What Prince David had said did not fly over Alexa's head like it had with the rest of the guests. Although hot-tempered, she could see now that his intentions were with well meaning. But it did beg the question as to what was to happen now, now that all had been said at the feast. 

The princess noticed the two Herrera brothers discussing quietly before Antonio was off to find David. Her eyes looked forward at the pieces of shattered plate laying on the golden place mat, untouched. It was astonishing how oblivious everyone was to events such as this. No one even bothered to clean the spot. 

With that Alexa silently agreed with David. Things needed to change. And she too looked forward to when it would. 

Or so she thought. 

Another sound of glass shattering made her jump from her seat. Her eyes quickly cast over to her father falling to the ground; choking. Her eyes widened at the sight. 

No child should have to experience the loss of a parent so soon. Especially when watching it happen right in front of them. "Papa!" she screamed as she rushed to his aid. 

But what could she do? She was no physician. She had studied basic human anatomy growing up. Cutting open wounds and sewing them back together. But nothing like this; nothing that could help. 

Her father was currently foaming at the mouth, his face red and his eyes bulging. By now other members of the court were panicking, a ruckus being made about what was currently happening. 

His Majesty, Daniel, rushed to aid her father. He pressed down on his chest with both hands, in an attempt to pump out whatever was caught in his throat. What it was, they didn't know, perhaps food that was lodged in his esophagus. Maybe this was nothing in the airways at all. Maybe this was heart issues, or cardiac arrest. 

"Senor please help him!" Alexa pleaded with him. Daniel's eyes darted from his fallen friend to hers in a slight panic himself. He looked in the direction to where his younger brother had left to. All the worry was evident on his face. 

He tried pumping his hands down on his chest once more, a couple more times. Edwardo released and quick cough, some spit flying up in the process. He gasped for air, wheezing before looking around and meeting his daughter's eyes. 

His calloused hand reached out for his baby girl. Alexa quickly took hold of it and held it tightly to her chest, "Papa-everything's going to be okay-just tell us what's happening, I don't know what to do-" she rambled; her eyes stinging. 

He wheezed short breaths and moved his hand to pat her face gently. He cast his eyes to Daniel. With what looked like to be the last of his energy, he breathed out, "Get her safe."

Daniel watched the light leave from his fallen friend's eyes. Alexa suppressed the wave of grief that had wanted to submerge her. She clenched her jaw, "We need a medic-"

"Princessa!" 

Through the crowd Alexa looked up; seeing her father's bodyguard pushing apart people to get to her. "Pedro!"

He quickly made his way to his brother and the princess. He knelt before the former King in shock. Alexa saw him quickly take off his mask and scan her father for any signs of life. When none were found, Pedro's head snapped to look at Daniel. "What'd he say." he demanded.