8: Outsmarted

A curly-haired Hufflepuff approached the four of them.

"Justin Finch-Fletchey," he introduced himself, his hand gripped tightly with Harry's, as he winced slightly. "I know who you are, of course, the famous Harry Potter... and Hermione Granger! You're always top in everything..." he reached out to shake Hermione's hand, and then turned to Ron. "and Ron Weasley, aren't your brothers Fred and George?" Ron's smile immediately faded as he quickly retracted his hand from Justin's reach, a sour look circulating his face. "Oh, um, sorry."

Justin clearly hadn't bothered to approach Ashton or introduce himself in any way, not that it bothered him - in fact, he'd be more annoyed if the Hufflepuff had actually tried to talk to him. 

Everyone was pretty achy and tired from the Herbology lesson, covered in dirt and ears still ringing from the screams of the Mandrakes. After that, they had to go to Transfiguration. Professor McGonagall's classes were always the hardest of them all - even if everyone had completed the work before class ended, she would still keep everyone in until the exact time arrives for them to go to their next lesson. Ashton didn't really mind - he just enjoyed seeing all the other Gryffindors looking annoyed and exhausted.

The lesson finished after Ron spent it all getting everything wrong. He squashed about three different spiders in fear of being attacked - and when he finally made one of them into a boot, he managed to make the boot disappear. It was fair to say McGonagall didn't really have high hopes for Ron's future.

As they headed down for lunch, Harry asked what next lesson would be.

"Defence," said Hermione quickly. Ron's eyes narrowed at seeing her timetable. He reached for it, seizing the timetable from Hermione.

"Why," he demanded, looking at the timetable in exasperation. "have you outlined all of Lockhart's lessons in hearts?" Ashton's head turned attentively when he heard that, as Hermione snatched the timetable back, her face bright red. As she went back to eating her mashed potatoes, she saw Ashton starting intently at her several times - stone-faced, as if he had been told he was a prat.

Ashton finished his lunch quickly, and headed out to the courtyard - where Harry, Ron and Hermione followed him soon enough. Near to Harry was a boy with hair parted on two sides, staring at him as if he was staring through a telescope. He stood there, transfixed. In his hand was a camera - not a wizarding camera, just a normal, Muggle camera - sort of like one Ashton had back at the orphanage, but much better quality.

Harry looked awkwardly at the boy, and once he saw Harry looking at him, he quickly rushed over, as if being invited to come over.

"Oh, erm, all right Harry? I'm - I'm Colin Creevey," his voice sounded breathless, as if he had just run endlessly. Maybe he was just giddy with excitement. "I'm in Gryffindor - I'm a first-year, though, so you probably don't know me... is it alright if I had a picture?"

"A picture?" said Harry, taken aback, looking blankly at Colin. 

"Just to show people I've met you," said Colin, looking eagerly up at Harry, although the black-haired boy was no more than a couple of inches taller than him. "and could you also sign it?" And then, out of nowhere, came the voice of the boy nobody asked.

"Signed photos? You're giving out signed photos, Potter?" Rather publicly, Draco Malfoy's voice boomed around the whole courtyard. And, of course, when Malfoy is there, Crabbe and Goyle are also there. "Queue up, everyone! Queue up! Harry Potter's giving out signed photos!" Suddenly a roar of a crowd of at least 100 people came, people pushing and shoving in an attempt to reach Harry.

"I'm not giving out signed photos, shut up, Malfoy!" said Harry.

"Maybe Harry could sign a photo for you, Malfoy," said Ashton, smirking. "you're so obsessed with him you'd probably stick it in your dormitory."