11: Snape Doesn't Scare Me

Although having told Harry, Ron and Hermione he was going to play the match against Hufflepuff, Ashton was getting increasingly nervous about playing the match as each second went by. Clearly the rest of the team felt the same. The idea of overtaking Slytherin was definitely pleasant to all of them, but after seven years of attempt with no avail - not to mention an incredibly biased referee who had a strong hatred for both Gryffindor Seekers. 

Ashton wasn't sure if it was in his head or not, but it seemed wherever he went, Snape would follow. Perhaps he was trying to capture him. By then Potions lessons had become somewhat of weekly torture. Did he know about the Philosopher's Stone? Could he read minds? Was Ashton going to murder him if he didn't stop stalking him? 

The 12-year-old boy barely heard Wood's pre-match team talk as he thrust his Quidditch robes on and got his Nimbus Two Thousand. Harry, Ron and Hermione, on the other hand, had found a place in the stands next to Neville. They looked so grim and worried - mainly worrying for Ashton's safety. Harry knew what it was like to have a jinxed broom and almost fall off. He didn't want the same to happen to Ashton.

Little did Ashton Lord Lestrange know was that Harry, Ron and Hermione had started practising the Leg-Locker Curse - inspired by Malfoy using it on Neville - and were prepared to use it on Snape if he was going to jinx Ashton's broom.

Back in the changing room, Wood pulled Ashton aside.

"Don't want to pressure you, Lestrange, but if we ever needed you to capture the Snitch quickly it's now. Best if you finish the game before Snape can favour Hufflepuff too much." 

"The whole school's out there!" exclaimed Fred, peering outside the door. "Even - blimey - Dumbledore's come to watch!" Ashton felt his body freeze for a second. Ashton rushed over to check if Fred was right - and he was. Ashton could've sighed so much with relief that it would've caused a breeze for the whole stadium. There was no way Snape could've tried anything funny if Dumbledore was watching. Maybe that was why he looked so furious. 

Only a minute or two in and Snape awarded Hufflepuff a penalty after George had hit a Bludger at him.

"You know how I think they choose people for the Gryffindor team? It's people they feel sorry for. See, there's my stupid cousin, who's got no happiness, Potter, who's got no parents, then there's the Weasleys, who have no money - you should be on the team too, Longbottom, you've got no brains." 

"I-I'm worth twelve of you, Malfoy." stammered Neville. Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle began howling with laughter as Ashton continued to swoop for the Snitch.

"Longbottom, if brains were gold, you'd be poorer than Weasley, and that's saying something." Ron was now twitching with anger.

"I swear, Malfoy, one more word--"

"Ron!" said Hermione anxiously. "Ashton!" Ashton began diving down to the floor like a bullet.

"Oh, you're in luck, Weasley! Lestrange has obviously found money on the floor--" Malfoy was cut off as Harry and Ron both lunged at him, wrestling to the ground as Hermione refused to take her eyes off Ashton. He had just dodged a Bludger a Hufflepuff Beater had hit his way, and three seconds later, he had the Snitch held up triumphantly in his hand as the Gryffindor crowd began cheering wildly.

"We won!" shrieked Hermione, hugging Parvati Patil in the front row. "We won!" In all the celebration, Ashton caught Snape looking at him with pure venom and spat on the ground.

The next thing he knew was he was watching Quirrell and Snape under Harry's invisibility cloak. Snape was glaring icily at Quirrell.

"...d-don't know why you wanted t-t-to meet here of all p-places, Severus..." 

"Oh, I thought we'd keep this private," said Snape, his voice dry and icy. "Students aren't supposed to know about the Philosopher's Stone, after all. Have you figured out how to get past that beast of Hagrid's yet?" Ashton thought back to when they had met the three-headed dog and Hagrid had talked about Fluffy while they were talking about Harry's jinxed broom.

"B-b-but Severus, I--" 

"You don't want me as your enemy, Quirrell." said Snape, taking a step towards him. 

"I-I d-d-don't know what y-you mean..." 

"You know perfectly well what I mean." 

"I-I don't..." 

"Very well," Snape cut in. "we'll have another chat soon. It's about time you decide where your loyalties lie." Ashton accidentally let out a loud breath and Snape turned around to see who was there. He was about to take a step in Ashton's direction when he fled.

"Ashton, where have you been?" squeaked Hermione.

"We won! We won! We won!" chanted Ron. 

"Oh, and plus, me and Ron gave Malfoy a black eye! Talk about showing Slytherin who's boss!" cheered Harry. "Everyone's waiting for the Gryffindor hero in the Common Room!"

"Fred and George stole some cakes from the kitchens--"

"Never mind that now," panted Ashton. "wait until you hear this! We need an empty room..." Ashton pulled the three first-years into an empty room, after checking Peeves wasn't in, shut the door behind them, and began informing them.

"So we were right, it was the Philosopher's Stone - Snape's trying to force Quirrell to get it for him. Snape asked if he knew how to get past Fluffy - said something about how he'd have to "decide where his loyalties lie". I reckon there are a lot of other things guarding the Stone, lots of enchantments, Quirrell probably did some kind of anti-Dark Arts spell Snape can't break through. Snape's trying to get Quirrell to break his own spell because he's not able to do it. So--"

"You mean the Stone's only safe if Quirrell stands up to Snape?" asked Hermione alarmingly.

"It'll be gone in five minutes," muttered Ron.

"Five? That's being generous." scoffed Ashton.