17: Victory... Or So He Thinks

"But why couldn't Quirrell do anything to me or Ashton?" 

"Harry, your mother died to save you." explained Dumbledore. "If there is one thing Voldemort cannot understand, it is love. He didn't realise that love as powerful as your mother's for you leaves its own mark. It's not visible, it's in your skin. As for you, Ashton... as your mother may be, if there was one true thing she cared about, it was you. She wanted you to be protected at all costs while she was in Azkaban. She chose to live a half-life... a cursed life... just so you would be safe." Ashton was amazed at this statement. 

"My mother cursed her own life for me?"

"Yes. She did care deeply for you, despite her sins." Ashton thought about this for a second before dropping the subject altogether and deferring it until later on. At that time it was the House Cup results.

"Now, as I understand it, the House Cup is needing of awarding and the points stand there thus: fourth place is Gryffindor, with two hundred and sixty-two points." Ashton felt his heart drop when he heard that. Clearly losing those points while they forgot the Invisibility Cloak meant more than he thought. 

"In third place, Hufflepuff, with three hundred and fifty-two. Ravenclaw are in second with four hundred and twenty-six and Slytherin, four hundred and eighty-two." A loud storm of cheering broke out from the Slytherin table as Hermione's hand slinked into her arm while Ron looked he was going to bang his head on the table multiple times. "Yes, yes, well done, Slytherin. However, recent events must be taken into account." With those words, the Slytherins' smiles began to disappear.

"I have a few last-minute points to pass on. Yes... First to Mr Ronald Weasley..." Ron went magenta in the face. "for the best-played game of chess Hogwarts has seen in many years, I award Gryffindor fifty points." Even louder cheering was heard from the Gryffindor table as Ashton calculated they were still in fourth, but forty points behind Hufflepuff.

"Second to Miss Hermione Granger... for the use of cool logic in the face of fire, I award Gryffindor another fifty points." Hermione had buried her head in her arms, she was most likely crying as Ashton started laughing heartedly. They had overtaken Hufflepuff!

"Third to Mr Harry Potter... for pure nerve and outstanding courage, I award Gryffindor sixty points." Now Gryffindor had four hundred and twelve points. 

"Fourth to Mr Ashton Lestrange, for quick thinking... admirable courage... and, most of all, incredible use of magic... I award Gryffindor sixty points." Ashton suddenly looked around and saw Gryffindors parading around him and suddenly he felt Parvati Patil, another Gryffindor first-year, wrapping her arms around him while he locked eyes with Hermione: who looked a mixture of sad... and jealous.

If only Dumbledore had given any of them an extra point. They'd tied with Slytherin on four hundred and eighty-two points. He held up a hand and the room instantly went silent.

"There are all kinds of courage," said Dumbledore. "it takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends. That, therefore, is why I award ten points to Gryffindor for Mr Neville Longbottom."
---
"See you over summer, then." said Ashton as Williams was standing angrily over by the next platform. 

"Hope you - er - have a nice holiday." said Hermione worriedly, looking over at Williams.

"Oh, I will." said Ashton, a smirk coming through on his face. "Williams doesn't know I can't use magic over summer. Dumbledore told him I'm a wizard a couple of months ago, but I'm pretty sure he didn't mention anything about not being permitted to use magic outside of Hogwarts. I'm going to have a lot of fun over the summer..." Hermione looked uncertainly at Ashton as he walked away to Williams.

Terrence Williams was definitely in for a troublesome six weeks.

A/N: I would like to apologise for the lousy chapter, but I just wanted to get the Philosopher's Stone finished and get the Chamber of Secrets started. The CoS chapters will definitely be longer and there will not be many time skips (at least no important ones without being filled with information) plus character development was not really shown in this part.

See you on September 1st on the Hogwarts Express! (even if I am 17 days late)

More deathly adventures, here I come!