1.9

I shouldn't care
I shouldn't cry
Tease me to death
Wait 'till I die
Cowboy Hat ~ Sea Ghost
~
'Control your temper.'
~
a.n.: this chapter is so long i'm sorry

I open my eyes as I hear the door to Aspen's bedroom creak open, but don't move when I realize the clock on the nightstand reads 9:09PM, and Aspen shouldn't be back this early

"Ms. Reva you can come in."

"Are you sure? Aspen said only Ivy should..."

"My grandson is an idiot, don't you listen to him. Go ahead."

I sit up as I hear the two familiar voices from the doorway, smiling to myself once my eyes adjust and see who it is waking me up.

Iris Vale and Clove Reva stand closing the door, carrying a candle and a tray of tea. Iris turns her head over to me first, her wrinkly face smiling wide.

"Clementine baby! Oh my how much I've missed you..."

I smile wider as Clove turns around and looks at me, but she does just the opposite. Her eyes narrowed and her cheeks flushed red with anger. She paces over to the bed and stops right in front of me.

"You. Fucking. Stupid. Ass. Bitch. I have every right to slap you right now! Maybe I should threaten to kill you like you did the poor receptionist...!"

My mouth falls open. "She snitched on me again!? That bitch can't keep her mouth shut..."

"Clem!"

I scoff. "Look she called the cops on me..."

"And that gives you an excuse to threaten to slit her throat with a chunk of glass the size of my finger?"

"Well..."

"Ms. Brim. It's very nice to see you in better condition than the last time I saw you... Aspen's going to be earning some extra brownie points in my book for taking such good care of you."

I turn my head from my angered best friend to the sweet old lady placing a silver platter of tea on the nightstand, smiling. "Um... nice to see you too Mrs. Vale. I— uh..."

"Baby it's okay, you can trust me. I agree with your friend here that your temper got a bit ahead of you but jail is a bit extreme, especially considering your injuries."

I let out a breath I was holding, but then another question arose. "Mrs. Vale?"

She pours some tea into a ceramic cup and hands it to me. Camomile tea. My favorite. "Mhmm?'

"One, I'm very sorry for your loss. I can't imagine what this month has been like for you with the amount of staff loss and then Mr. Vale..."

She waves it off. "Let's not talk about that right now baby, what's the second thing you're going to say?"