Alex

"I'm not going to ask again. Just send me the fucking reports so I can get this shit done." I yelled into the phone before hanging up.

I lean my elbows on the desk and lay my head in my hands. I have a fucking headache.

I swear I've had one for two days straight now.

Ever since we left the hospital.

The doctors wanted to keep Gabriella overnight because she was dehydrated and needed fluids. Jacob wasn't allowed to stay the night in her room. So when he came out to the lobby he informed us that Gabriella has the flu and a severe upper respiratory infection. He also told us, Richard, who I learned was her boss from the diner, paid for everything.

Had he not, I'm sure one of us would have.

Especially, Jacob.

And that's why I have a fucking headache.

To add a cherry on top of this bullshit sundae, I arrived at work this morning to find out I had another note from Kate.

I didn't even read it, I threw it away.

What good are someone's words when they mean absolutely nothing.

Her words are nothing to me, just empty reminders and unkept promises.

I'm so tired of her taking up space in my mind. I can't stand thinking about her but I'm doing more of that these days. Sometimes I wonder what she really wants but I just can't bring myself to talk to her.

She'll just add another crack in my heart.

"Yo" Jacob yells as he opens my office door, which I'm thankful for. Sort of. "What's up, loser?"

"Hey, man." Cade greets as he follows Jacob inside. They both sit down and stare at me.

"Nothing" I snap at them, Jacob knows he doesn't have to yell.

I swear he's ridiculous sometimes.

"Happy as ever I see" Jacob says sarcastically. "What's wrong with you today?"

"Fucking Kate"

"What about her? Did you see her or something?" Jacob asks.

"No, the fuck I did not." I almost growl out.

They nod their heads but don't say anything else. They know I don't like talking about my past.

She is my past.

"Well, after work I'm going to the store. Do you guys want to come help me?" Jacob questions as he looks down at his phone.

"What for?" Cade asks him with a raised brow.

Who in the hell needs help at the store?

"I'm going to go get B a get well soon basket. I want to pick up some things she needs and that will help her get better faster." He shrugs.

"That's what the medicine, that the doctors prescribed are for." I tell the both of them while massaging my forehead.