...The Mist...

"Opal? Opal?" I hear my parents call me. I force my eyes open, only to be welcomed by emptiness. I blink several times before my eyes adjust to the darkness.

   I get up and look around. There is no sign of a fire - but then again how would I know? I have been out for a long time from what I can tell. It looks like it is already night.

   All the books are scattered on the floor. Looks like a colourful ocean. There are shards of broken glass all over the place. It fills every nook and cranny visible in the dark. The clock was upright and still seems to work. Though the glass has a few cracks, I can make out the time the handles are pointing to. 3: 42. Wow!

   Reluctantly, I make my way towards the ocean at my feet. It is the only way to reach the exit. I need to get Snowflake. It is all I can think about now. I step over book after book. I can feel shards of glass dig into the soles of my shoes. The sound of cracking glass and thumping of falling books - that I push aside - echoes in the quietness of the night. I wonder what the explosion did. Other than the massive earthquake which I think it produced.

   My eyes slightly adjusting to the darkness, I step over the last book, straight to the exit. I look into the hallway and fear takes over me. The darkness stretch so fur that it feels like a black hole is infront of me. There is nothing that produces any light but the faint green light in every doorway of a room. I don't know which rooms they belong to.

   I let out a shaky breath - which I seemed to have been holding the past five minutes - and take of my shoes. I didn't want anyone to hear me. Or anything in this case. I doubt that there is a single human being here. After putting my hair into a ponytail, I go into the hallway, and move forward with my left hand brushing against the wall. My heart might as well be in my hands right now, because it feels as if it is about to jump out of my chest.

   I drag my feet further until my hands can feel the cold steel of the lockers. It was too cold to be held with my bare hands - like frozen icicles or dry ice. I pull my hand away and start moving towards the first ray of dim light I can see. Hoping that if I know what room it is, I can at least estimate where my locker is located.

   Just as I was about to reach it, I notice a figure stand in the dusty green haze. It looked like a limp statue. Maybe a person. Out of instinct, I back into the shadows and hold my breath. My eyes on the figure that sways along with the wind.

   I let out a gasp - barely audible - when I see it lift it's head. The skin looks like it would give away with a brush of a feather. It hung so loosely on the skeletal structure of it's face. His hair was tousled and his clothes looked like they have been taken out from a dumpster. Smell of rot hits my nose so quickly that I gag.

   It looks around with those glassy, lifeless eyes which is filled with hunger. Like it is looking for something. Only now do I realise it. He is the same zombie from my drawing!

   How is this possible? Is it an uprising? How did this happen? Oh God! I should've known this would happen! I run a hand through my hair while my thoughts are debating one another. I take short shallow breaths and stare at the creature. It's lazy movements, make it seem like it is an old man in need of help. After turning around and around in the same spot for what feels like hours, it drags itself into the room.

   I move out of the darkness and peak into the room. The door says 11B2. I don't recall seeing this class before. My gaze then lands on the zombie. It takes five long strides to make it to the other end of the room. The smell is way stronger now, as if it is producing that scent more by the minute. Like the stench of body odour a typical boy releases when he doesn't put on deodorant. Yuck!