...The Survivors...

He keeps running and running toward a row of destroyed buildings in a distance. I can see faint light in some of the windows, making me wonder if there are more people here. But there is no sign of life. Deserted.

   The zombies are no where to be seen too. I still rest my head against his chest and concentrate on the movement of my dangling feet and his heart beat. I don't know anything anymore. I feel like I am losing my sanity every passing hour. It is torture.

   We reach the tall rows of buildings and his gait still doesn't slow down. I hug my duffel bag to my chest and open my eyes to look up at him. Questions flooding my brain.

   I notice the edge of his jaw from under the gas mask and long strands of chocolate brown hair falling onto his face. "Excuse me, but who are you?" I whisper loudly. He looks down at me, accidentally hitting me with the filter-cartridge-canister of the gas mask. I wince in pain.

   "I'm so sorry!" I hear a muffled voice from under the mask as he puts me down. My body instantly reacts to the cold, missing the heat that was around me a second ago. He doesn't say anything more and starts walking deeper into the city. Seriously? Still won't answer would ya? I growl in frustration and start to follow him.

   I catch up to him and ask him again. No reply. Frowning in defeat, I put the bag to my chest and put my arms around it. Hugging it tightly to keep me warm. I remember that I have only one alcohol gun now, I had left the other in the forest.

   Opening the bag, I reach inside and move my hand around until I can feel the phone's plastic cover. I take it out and check the time. Three in the evening! It's been that long? I never realized.

   Shoving the phone back in the bag, I jog to reach his pace again. I feel like a puppy trying to keep up with his owner - only he is not my owner. Nor am I a puppy.

   He is very tall, and through the rotten - shredded - clothes, I can see his muscles protruding. Even though it looks bloody, he is most certainly not a zombie! I feel my face heat up, so I look down and focus on the green haze that is flying around my legs. My hair is falling on to my face like a waterfall. A very knotted waterfall.

   I push it back with my arm and lace my fingers through it, trying to smooth it down. But it won't budge. Feels like it had at least a dozen coatings of hairspray. I grab a loose strand and tie it around the others. Didn't work.

   Letting it be, I look up at him and open my mouth. Close it. And open it again. Nothing is coming out. No words are forming. I close it and look around. Trying to divert my attention from the awkward atmosphere between us.

   The buildings are also melted. Windows are broken. And there is a long metal fence around each block, with a gate infront of each house. Like each block is a different place. A forbidden territory for the neighbouring civilisations or families. The fences are around fifteen to seventeen feet tall. Some metal poles have odd figures on the tip of them. Broken street lights maybe? I take a closer look at them. And when my eyes adjust to the far away figures, I notice movement. They were zombies!

   I scream without consent. Mystery man turns around so fast I didn't notice. "What happened?" I hear him say. But I can't bring myself reply. Think I would be used to it by now - seeing immortal yet dead bodies. No I am not. I point up at the moving bodies, and his face turns towards it.

   "Damn it!" He grunts and grab a hold of my hand, starting to run. His grip is strong, and pulls me foward, making my jump as I try to keep up with him. The long strides of his legs are hard to keep up with. I am way shorter than him. No wonder!