...The Mutation...

⚠️Warning! This chapter includes gore details of a zombie. Beware!⚠️
-------------------

   After drinking another gulp of water, I pace back and forth in the white, bright room. The light illuminates every single detail on my body, and is so bright that I can't even see my shadow. I check the time on the phone again. The battery is dying. It has been approximately five hours and twenty six minutes since they locked me up in here. For sure it is already night. No wonder I'm feeling drowsy.

   "Come on guys! I haven't said anything since you left me hanging last time. I know you can hear me. Just let me out. I am obviously not a monster like that thing you're holding captive in the other cage. It has been five hours and now, I need to use the bathroom! I haven't used it for two days!" I scream. I know they won't believe it, but I haven't. I am used to holding it in, even though it may result in serious infection. But I have gotten used to it.

  "Ok, first, how did you know we have a zombie in here? And second, even if we can't believe that you haven't used the bathroom in two days," I knew it! "We are going to let you use the bathroom. But, you are still not coming outside. We have a special arrangement  for that." As soon as she says that, I hear a creek, followed by the sound of moving gears.

   I turn around and see a door opening near the entrance of the room. It is small, but wide enough to fit a person, so I won't have to crawl. I take a step closer and peer through the opening and see a small bathroom behind it. How many places are hidden hear? What is this place?

   It has gray walls, a white ceiling and a marble floor. It is surprisingly clean and very spacious for such a rusty looking building, and the light was subtle but bright. The toilet-bowl is clean, there is a small sink on one side and a shower-head over a big bathtub. "It looks like a luxury bathroom. From a five start hotel." I mutter, stepping into the huge room. I have never seen something like this my whole life.

   Suddenly, a thought pops into my mind. "You can't see me in there can you?" I ask out loud. "No we can't! Trust me, we respect privacy around here. The bathroom doesn't have any CCTV, or anything for that matter. It is just very secured." Her reply makes me sigh in relief.

   When I am fully inside the room, the door closes behind me, and I hear it lock. But for my luck, there is a keyboard on this side, and there is a sticky note with a password stuck near it. I shrug of the anxiety that is building up inside me and went about my business.

   I wash my hands at the sink and see my reflection on the mirror.  I have dark circles under my eyes and my hair looks tousled. Other than the scratch marks and the blood on my body, this is basically my every day look.

   After a long staring contest with myself, I jam the numbers onto the keyboard and the door slides open. I exit and look back, just in time to see it close. "Still freaky!" I whisper under my breath and turn back around to face the room. Same as when I left it. The duffel bag is open, and there are wrappers of empty chips bags strewn on the floor, and the - nearly dead - phone is still near the bag. But something else is different. The mist isn't here, but there is a weird smell. I look around and see that the room door is open - only a little.

   I take the phone and check the time again. The screen read 22 : 07. Wow! I didn't realise that I had been in the bathroom for thirty minutes? I put it in my pocket, and grab the biggest kitchen knife I had packed. Holding it tight in my hand, I move to the door, half aware that my every single step is being observed.

   I open the door and peek out into the dimly lit room. "Hello?" I call out. No answer.

   I creep into the room slowly,  trying not to make a noise, and moved along the side of the room, touching the wall. My finger tips feel some sort of a switch. So I close my eyes, and - hoping it's a light switch - I turn it on.