First Time

When Simmons awoke she was greeted by a very loud, buzzing alarm clock.

She smacked her hand onto the bell, signaling it to turn off as she groaned.

It was her birthday, her 23rd to be exact and she was very tired.

She checked her phone and it was blown up with messages from Fitz.

"Wake up."

"Happy Birthday."

"Text me."

"Hello."

"Jemma."

She snickered and arose from the plain white bed, making it.

She decided to answer Fitz's calls so, she rung him up.

"Hello?"

"Jemma? Finally, my god, I never thought you'd answer!"

She put the phone between her shoulder and ear as she fixed herself a cup of tea.

"I'm fine, Fitz. Just a little tired that's all. I had studies last night so I was up until 2:45."

He let out a small "ah" into the phone, and began to speak.

"Well, get dressed and then head out. On your door is a note, just follow those. Oh, and happy birthday."

A note? What for? Jemma really hated surprises.

"Thanks, Fitz. I'm gonna go get ready, see you soon?" She asked questioningly.

"See you soon," he replied and hung up.

She set the phone down and sighed.

She didn't like surprises, especially on her birthday, but she knew it was too late.

She went and showered very quickly before changing into one of her favorites outfits.

A beige and maroon striped sweater with a pair of maroon colored jeans. She also paired it with some beige colored Converse.

Her hair was naturally wavy, so she kept it that way.

She added a few bits of makeup, and sprayed some perfume.

She was happy with the way she looks and was prepared for the day.

"There, Fitz. I'm ready, are you happy?"

She directed towards herself.

She grabbed her jacket and purse before stepping out of the door.

She shot Fitz a quick text.

"Leaving the house now. See ya soon? x"

A small reply, "k."

She really hated that too, but she shrugged it off. She wanted a good birthday.

The door locked as she grabbed the note off the door.

"Head over to the academy, room number 132."

A smile appeared on her face. Her old dorm.

The travel to the academy was quick and she stepped inside of the gates.

She was greeted like royalty as she made her way up to room 132.

The key was under the mat, like it had always been and she slowly opened the door.

Memories came flooding back when she saw what he had recreated.

A few years ago, they were having a movie night and their popcorn exploded in the microwave while the tea kettle exploded.

They had no idea how either happened, but it was a big mess to clean.

There was popcorn spread all over the floor and the tea kettle was lying on the ground, split in two.

She noticed a note attached to the broken kettle and she detached it.

"So, you remember this? I knew you would. Go to the spot where we first discussed the reason we came here."

A lightbulb basically shined above her head as she drove to the local coffee shop.

"Good afternoon, Jemma. You're usual?"

The clerk asked and Jemma nodded.

"Uhm yeah, that'd be great."

She waited and looked around for another clue.

"Excuse me, have you se-"

She found the note attached to the coffee handed to her.

"I figured you'd order this. So, I paid in advance. Lastly, go to the place where we first discussed our future plans."

The Italian restaurant that they had decided to try over 4 years ago.

She remembered that place. Probably one of the best nights in her life.

"Oh, Fitz. Driving me halfway across town for another note. Couldn't you just call me?" She muttered to herself.

When she arrived at the restaurant, she was greeted by a waitress.

"Hello, ma'am. Are you Jemma Simmons?"

She let a small grin reach her face.

"Yes ma'am!"

She led her through many tables and rows and then she spotted it.

A smiling Fitz was revealed and he stood up when he noticed her.

"Jemma, you look lovely," he gasped, and pulled out her chair for her.

"So, this is beautiful," she admired the view.

Their table was surrounded by daisies, her favorite flower and lights were wrapped around her table.

"Thank you," he muttered, "took lots of planning."

"So, all these notes..they led me here for some reason?" She asked, raising her hands.

"The last time we were here was 4 years and 28 days ago. I told you my future plans and you told me yours. I watched as your put yours into action but as I grew closer to you my plans completely changed,"

Jemma was confused, where was he going with this?

"I began to think about what it'd be like if we left the academy and ran away. Then, for the first time that was all I could think about, you."

She sat down in the chair across from him, and watched him as he spoke.

"Now, all I want is that."

He got up from the chair, and kneeled to one knee beside her.

"Jemma Simmons, will you do the honor of marrying me?"

What? What was going on? Did her best friend just ask her to marry him?

"Fitz, I-I don't know what to say."

Someone peered around the corner, her mother.

"Mum? What are you doing here, and dad?"

They both smiled and walked closer to her.

"You do know what to say, every time you're back at home with us, all you can talk about is him. You know what to say Jemma."

"And he's already asked me, and I approve 100%."

Her dad said, and she was amazed.

He planned this all out, and he was still kneeling there.

"Uhm, Jemma..could you maybe wrap it up my knee is throbbing by the moment."

She chuckled, and nodded.

"Yes, Fitz. Yes, I will marry you!"

A smile appeared on his face as he picked her up and swung her around.

Finally, married.