[6] The Reason Why

Reader POV

Reader POV

I was laying down in the middle of the courtyard on Klaus's lap, reading a book.

Snow was gently falling, but I didn't mind the cold so much.

In fact, I welcomed it.

"Ne, Klaus?"

He looked down at me. "Yes?"

"It seems that your promise is true."

"Oh?" He removed the book, a soft smile on his face.

"Mmhm." I placed my book down and closed my eyes, enjoying the afternoon warmth in wintertime.

Flashback (1 year and 6 months ago)

Langris kicked me aside, spitting on my face.

"Worthless piece of shit," he spat. "How dare you."

"I didn't even do-"

He punched my face. "I didn't ask for an explanation as to why you're whoring yourself out-especially to someone as low and humiliating as that disgrace Finral."

"The only one low and humiliating to House Vaude is you, Vaude." I glared up at him with hatred, holding my bleeding nose.

"Tch. You little bitch."

He kicked me out of his office, threatening to kick Klaus out of the squad if I so much as told a single person what just happened.

I left the office wings and went to the hospital wing to get my nose fixed.

The recovery mages asked how I got such terrible wounds and I told them it was a disagreement, which wasn't entirely false.

"So..."

I looked up and saw Klaus himself. "Klau."

"Hey, (n/n)..." he sat down on the bed with me, a frown on his face. "I heard you had a disagreement with someone. Who was it?"

"Someone I hate."

"I see." He pulled me into a hug.

It was silent for a bit as rain pounded on the windows, a somber aura around everything.

"Ne, (y/n)?"

"Hm?"

He lifted my chin and brushed the hair from my vision. "I want to make you a promise."

"Oh?"

"Mmhm. I mostly see you with a frown and it saddens me to know you're unhappy. So I'm going to make you a promise."

My breathing hitched as I felt him move closer to me, his gaze on my lips.

He kissed me once.

It was sweet and short.