Telling people

Holding a mug of coffee with one hand and grasping a fleece blanket with the other, Maura sat down near Jane. After covering their laps, she snuggled onto her shoulder, watching TJ absorbed in his fantasy world. Now that days were getting warmer, they should start spending less time watching television and more like this—in the patio, enjoying the outside in private.

J: "What the hell is he doing?"

M: "Looking for bugs. If he finds any, he will ask me about its species."

After a while, the blonde looked up to her girlfriend and found her staring at her—a small smile on her lips.

M: "What?"

J: "Can you imagine mini Maura Isles asking me a bunch of hard questions I can't answer?"

Looking down, glowing, the ME started smiling and squeezed Jane's hand underneath the blanket. Then, she looked up, feeling herself melt in the most gorgeous dark eyes she had ever seen.

M: "Can you imagine little Janes running around with a ball while destroying your mother's plants?"

Laughing, Jane pointed to an area on one of the walls.

J: "We could set a hoop net there... it's a pretty good spot."

M: "It actually is!"

Fixing the dark curls behind the detective's ear, Maura shifted her body to face her and began tracing her jawline with her thumb.

M: "I love you."

Before Jane could say anything back, the blonde muffled her mouth with her lips. Modest yet, sweet. Promptly pulling apart when she realized what she did, Maura glanced at TJ—relaxing against Jane's body when she saw the kid being too focused to notice anything around him.

J: "I want us to start telling people. At least our families."

M: "You're right...It's time...but I can't help feeling worried about having a relapse, now that we're reducing the doses."

J: "It's gonna be ok, Maura. I'll be here if anything happens and...my family loves you. You're already family. They never stopped loving you when I was away. I think they even started loving you more if that's even possible. You don't need to be so scared."

Maura briefly looked down to ponder on the situation.

M: "I want Tommy to be the first to know. I know we talked about speaking to Angela and my mother first, but I don't want him to find out through someone else. It's not fair."

J: "It's ok. I'll talk to him."

M: "No. I'll do it."

J: "I'm his sister."

M: "I know, but I need to do this. He needs to hear it from me, and I still own him an explanation, instead of half-truths."

__________________________________

M: "Do you want something to drink?"

T: "I'm good...you ok? You're making me nervous."

Moving quickly, while fidgeting with her hands, the ME sat down on the couch next to her friend.

M: "I wanted you to be the first to know. I'm in a relationship."

T: "T-that's great, Maura. I knew this was about to happen. A beautiful woman like you is only single because they want to...He must be quite a catch! Can't wait to meet him."