1

3rd person

A lost wanderer being swallowed by darkness herself is the story being painted into the wind by a small girl and her violin. Large, white wings akin to an angel's adorn the girl who's name is Evangeline. The feathers shiver in the moon-lit breeze, revealing deep scars. Freak. Monster. Names that she has been called her whole life jump out in her memories. The music crescendos to drown them out. However, the vibrant storytelling is being shared by more than just her ears. Not far away, a figure stands, stilled by the mysterious melody. His swine-like ears raise in the direction of the sound in an attempt to help his feet follow suit. Over roots and through tree branches, he follows, entranced by the music. It's always just been him and his family in these woods, so he is rightfully confused by this new development. The girl continues to play, letting out her emotions into the night air with furious passion. Her guard is down, so when she hears a far-off branch snap as a result of her pursuer, she misses a note before freezing completely. Both wanderers hesitate, then the winged girl breaks the unseen standoff by running as fast as she can to her hideout. The trees grab at her clothes, but she pays no mind as her bare feet carry her to a large oak tree without once looking back. She pulls herself up the branches before reaching a small nest, which she collapses into with a heavy breath. Back in the woods, the figure strains to hear more music, but having heard the rustling of the bramble, he knew the performance was over. With much reluctance, he walks back to his home, a million questions clouding his head.

Evangeline

It's been a few days since she heard the noise, and monsters have filled her head ever since. I thought I was finally safe, I thought I found a place where I could be alone and not hurt anyone. Perhaps the biggest monster is the one rumbling in her stomach. Evangeline has been trying to lay low, to think of a solution. She could just leave again, but this forest was perfect for a freak like her, concealing her in utter solitude. Well, almost utter solitude. Pain gnawing in Evangeline's belly reminds her of the current issue: she's run out of food. She sighs and stands up, allowing the lightheadedness to leave before grabbing the corset she had cast aside. The tight lacing keeps her wings concealed under her shirt. Long ago, she had thought that it was enough for her to fit in, to return to society, but they always find out, eventually.

Flashback

Small footprints reveal the trail of a little girl, small for the age of 12, walking into a brand new village. A grin that was rarely seen was plastered on her grimy face. Under her shirt was a freshly stolen corset. For the first time in her life, Evangeline's silhouette matched the other girls running around in the village. Eager to finally fit in, she ran over to them and joined their game. Like a dream come true, the village girls didn't falter, they didn't stare, they didn't even think twice before inviting her to join in on the fun. Evangeline was glowing, she was normal!

Evangeline

Evangeline tied her already small corset tighter to chase away the old memories. It's not good to dwell on the past. She grabs a tan satchel and slides down the tree. Not having been there for long, she aimlessly wanders the forest, looking for a food source. Usually she stole her meals, so she was unsure of what plants would be safe. She tugs on her corset, forgetting how uncomfortable it has become in the four years since she first got it. However, after the scare in the forest, she didn't want to be caught with her wings out. After a few minutes of unsuccessful hunting, the trees start thinning until she stands at the very edge of a clearing. Evangeline's heart drops. In the clearing is a potato farm. She was right: she's not alone.

A/N hey guys... it's been a hot minute. This is something completely different than my other stories, so let me know what you think. Also- inspiration for the wings came from oof_autumn_ so credit goes to her and you should check out her work while you're at it. This chapter is dedicated to her, P3NC1LPOG and swimwhim. Thank you guys for the amazing support!! Anyways, I love you have a great day!