5

A/N There is description of self harm in this chapter, I put trigger warnings before and after the event. If that makes you uncomfortable or may trigger you, please skip over it.

Technoblade

"Wait!" Heavy breaths heave in and out of Technoblade's chest.

Evangeline stops in her tracks, still stuck in her escape stance. Her eyes search the man... piglin? She can tell that he is definitely different. Swine ears peek out from the pink hair cascading down his back, and a strong jaw slightly reveals teeth unlike a human's.

"Phil can take care of you," he speaks up. "Look at me, I was just like you. Alone, afraid... unwelcomed. You don't have to trust us right away, but please... I don't want to witness what could have happened to me."

His words hover, like they are stuck in the air. Evangeline squints her eyes and replays his plea over and over. Out of empathy for him and empathy only, Evangeline turns towards him, and as a sign of solidarity, returns her violin to her satchel. Both men release a held breath.

"Follow us." Phil's voice is smaller than usual. He tries to steal glances at her, trying to figure out what made her change her mind. Of course, how could he be so oblivious! As they turn back towards the house, it's Techno who guides Evangeline, standing protectively over her. They are so different, yet the exact same: outcasts. Well, former outcasts.

Evangeline

Both men keep weary eyes on her as they navigate the dark forest. She almost giggles as they struggle and trip, remaining unbothered because of her own agility. They walk for what seems like ages. Being on edge for so long combined with the safety of the night gives her heavy eyelids, but her fidgeting hands remind her of the nerve wracking situation. She isn't stupid. Evangeline knows she can trust these travelers, for now at least, but that isn't what twists her stomach. The fluttering wings behind her remind her that she is a danger, a liability.

(TW SELF HARM)

Flashback

Evangeline waved at Marshall as he left the bakery to replenish their supplies. It was now or never. Hard determination was set into Evangeline's face as she knew what had to be done. It had been four months since she met Marshall, four months since her life changed. Eating full meals and laughing until her sides hurt had turned the sad, broken girl into a confident young lady. Although she was the happiest she had ever been, there was still one issue: her wings. All this time, Evangeline had kept her secret concealed with the help of her corset. All of the happy moments had been tainted with the underlying fear that she would be caught, with the hatred for herself that she could have just been born normal. She could live a happy life with Marshall if she could just get rid of her wings. So that's what she sought out to do. On her tiptoes, she grabbed one of the sharpest bread knives that she could reach. Without an ounce of regret she marched herself into her room and locked the door behind her. She released her wings from their restraints, which were sore from the endless days of binding. She brought the knife to her wings and hesitated. No, she had to do this. She was welcome nowhere because she was a freak, everything was her fault. Evangeline made the first cut. Shallow as it was, it both frightened and excited her. She will finally be free, free from judgement, free from cruelty and pain that was all the fault of these stupid wings. Evangeline cut again, deeper, fueled by the hatred for her abnormality. She bit her sleeve in a futile attempt to muffle the screams now escaping her lips. Her whole body was shaking, and the blood now covering the knife made it harder to keep a good grip.

(END TW)

Evangeline

"We are here."

Her glazed eyes and heavy breathing might have gone overlooked if she hadn't jumped from the sudden interruption.

"Are you ok?" Several unreadable emotions are laced in Technoblade's voice. She can only nod. To distract from the situation, she pretends to study the house. A modest cottage surrounded by trees; a simple sight, really. Trees. Not other cottages. Evangeline catches herself smiling at the realization that there are no other people around. No one to endanger the pig man and his dad at the expense of taking her in.

"You like it?" Philza asks, misreading her change in emotion.

Evangeline turns and gives him a small smile, all the confidence from their initial interaction completely vanished. They lead the way inside, being very quiet as if not to wake the sleeping house.

"You can sleep in my room tonight until we can convert the office into a bedroom," Techno tells her before slipping behind the door in front of her. She just stands there. A bedroom, yeah. That's what normal people have. Delirium curls the edges of her thoughts as the sleep deprivation starts to show. The rest of the world blurs, and at some point a bed is prepared and she finds herself in it. She wonders how that happened before the sleep tugs her all the way under.

A/N Although there is some sensitive content in this chapter I felt like it was important to the depth of Evangeline's character. If you, or someone you know has struggled with self harm, know that things will get better. All of you are so incredibly strong, and I'm proud of you for being here today. Drink some water and ily <3