prelude

Eden Colton, September 20, 20XX

Eden looked at the white living room she had grown up in, seeing the lack of pictures and warmth she craved.

Everything about this house screamed "wrong" and "empty." She may have lived here with her mother, but sometimes it felt like she lived by herself. The nauseating scent of lavender made her gag as she placed her last luggage bag in her car. She was about to leave in silence when her mother finally awoke from her nap; maybe she should have used a higher dosage. Pure rage emanated from the short woman as she glared at Eden.

Then, the never-ending argument took place.

|-|

"For the last time- Mom, I'm moving out. I'm not staying here any longer. I'm leaving the Island." I argued for what seemed like the millionth time with my mother. "I have the rare opportunity to find a better job in the States. Don't you want me to do well in life? This is my chance! Why're you so pig-headed about it?!"

How to describe her, my mom?

Ah, she was the Devil.

Manipulative and bossy could sum her up. If I wanted to be accurate, 'a raging bitch with anger issues' fit her a lot better. She was a short Hispanic woman with long dyed blonde hair reaching her back.

Small round glasses adorned her face, owning a powerful voice that echoed through our entire neighborhood; right alongside her obnoxious and all-knowing attitude.

"Eden, I don't care how old you are. I don't care what you think. You are not leaving this house, even if it's the last thing I do. You are NOT leaving me. Do you realize what you're saying?" She countered, trying to persuade me to stop and obey.

Despite giving her a decent dosage of sleeping pills, there stood my mother in all her glory. Leaning against the wall to avoid losing her balance and angry enough to pick a physical fight. I intended on keeping my distance and leave sooner rather than later. Her hot pink nightgown swayed as she moved and shrieked.

"You're saying that you're moving- do I know where?" She tried to take a step and had to lean on the dining table as I took a healthy step back. "Do you even have a place to stay? Or did your stupid friends convince you to leave? You know how unreliable they are- and I bet the place you chose is so far away from the family- so you won't have any help."

I had no inclination to answer any of her questions. She could say whatever she wanted- I didn't care anymore.

She took a breath, eyes glaring deep into mine, something I genuinely hated. "This job offer could be a scam. Don't you watch the news nowadays? You're acting stupid. So stop being difficult and stay here!"

Another pause as she tried to step closer, her body straining to stay upright as she placed all her weight on her arms- leaning on the table. Her eyes made her look crazy as she tried to get closer while I took smaller steps away, a foot's length from the door but still far enough from her.

"You keep talking about this idiotic subject, and I'm going to ground you- OR better yet, keep it up. You already drugged me, all I have to do is say you attacked me and you'll never be able to leave me- EVER!" Her expression, which was menacing a moment ago, turned into wild amusement as her lip curled with an instantly bright idea. "And I'll have a plausible reason to beat you black and blue." Her face was menacingly red, and her lip curled.

That was not an empty threat. She meant every word she said. And I'm sick and tired of it.

Being 23 and an MSN nurse, you would think that I would be allowed to make decisions of my own. I had hoped for a better life the moment I graduated. A life where I could leave everything behind, be free- move somewhere that didn't remind me of home... or better said, this house.