thRee

((A warning before you read, the chapters are going to get darker the more you read, considering the intent is to write a fantasy murder mystery. I'm not good at describing details but I hope to not scare you with the details. Please read at your discretion))

Cold air circulated and encompassed the morgue.

The chilling atmosphere left much to be desired, especially when hardly anyone dared to cross its doors. The lack of life in the room reminded anyone who crossed the threshold of what they were getting into. The Autopsy and Examination Quarters, the official name of said room, only housed two men courageous enough to darken its halls. Dedicating their time and expertise, these two men dealt with the dearly departed, day in and day out.

Bone white walls lacked color and warmth, and the metal gray objects in the room covered the expanse; reminding anyone that this room was to remain sterile at all times from external elements. Whether it was the examination tables, the coolers for the bodies, the door to the medical equipment closet or the small cabinets in the room, everything was metal. And yet, these two men didn't balk or fear this room. It may be the quarters of the dead, but they intended to seek justice for the deceased that made it to their examination table.

Doctor Theodore Pembrooke was a gentle soul, always with a serene smile and a cheerful disposition despite his field major. Which is why he was coined Teddy, for his kind demeanor; his assistant, George Hudson, was never too far behind dear Teddy. The younger man looked up to the doctor as a father figure and caring mentor. After realizing early on that medicine was his calling, he decided to pay forward his knowledge by uncovering any truths hidden with the dead. The two spent most of their time studying, examining, and preserving the deceased- regardless of age, gender, political and religious affiliation.

But here they were now on Halloween night, a day most people hated working on. Hours prior, they had been told to take the weekend off. After working for 48 hours straight on the case of deceased veterans with no sleep, Special Agent Lee Calloway had told his agents and the two medical examiners to enjoy their weekend and to be back bright and early next Monday. The agents, Dr. Theodore, and Assistant Medical Examiner Hudson had taken the advice and left FGCSI (Federal Government of Crime Scene Investigation) without hesitation. It was only three hours later that they were all called to investigate a fresh crime scene in the Richard Barrow Family Park. The victim had been taped to the swing set, wearing Army Combat Uniform (Camo) three sizes bigger, no shoes and no identification.

The woman and child who had found the young victim were taking their pet dog for a walk when the dog broke free from the woman's grasp and ran for the victim; she immediately called the police and prevented the child- her younger brother- from seeing the gruesome scene. The police arrived 30 minutes later, almost ready to call their own team and begin the process of investigation. That is until the senior officer caught sight of the victim's clothing.

"Don't touch anything," he had commanded, reaching for his companion, who was ready to proceed to investigate.

The other officer whirled around, face set in a frown. "Why not? I'm wearing gloves this time."

The first officer huffed, already pulling out his phone and a card. "Can't you see what she's wearing?"

"Yeah, so?" Not that the second officer wasn't smart, it was that he was still a rookie officer.

The first officer grunted, pulling the second officer by the collar away from the dead female, his phone already dialing. "Remember what those feds told us if we ever see any victims wearing army clothing?" The younger officer froze, then nodded. "I have no intention of getting my ass chewed out by the chief tonight, so I advise you, DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING!"