foUr

(Dual POV)

-Cade-

Time slowed down.

Or that is how it felt to Cadmus as he waited for Eden to react. His mind couldn't focus on a single thing as he tried to analyze what had happened. From her body having a magical seizure (apparently) to her being unconscious, Cade didn't know what to do. He knelt on the ground, his hands reaching for Eden's fallen figure.

They remained inside that small equipment room; the blood bags Eden devoured discarded in a corner as time trickled on. She was still on the floor, unmoving and not breathing.

That's right, she's dead now. She doesn't have a pulse anymore.

Cade shook off the stupor and grabbed Eden, placing her unconscious body across his lap, hoping for a reaction of any sort, by hitting her shoulders and shaking her. There were various theories- human made- on the origins of vampires. One theory was that vampires could procreate and keep their bloodline going. Utter bullshit.

Another theory was that vampires existed through a hierarchy of purebred vs impure and were constantly clashing. Also bullshit. The actual hierarchy, although not reinforced, was of age. Whoever was the oldest had the order of being listened to, similar to the hierarchy of siblings.

However, the only consistent and accurate theory was that vampires no longer had a pulse after they turned and lacked life. Drinking blood, human or animal, mimicked them being alive, giving them the strength and color to their otherwise abominable bodies.

And because of this, Cade struggled to find a pulse on Eden. There wasn't a heartbeat to search for, but Cadmus tried nonetheless, hoping that despite the anomaly of a transition Eden went through, she would be alright regardless. And he hoped she would forgive him when the truth came to light.

The only sound interrupting their silence was the low hum of the machines in the equipment room and the air conditioner keeping the room below normal temperatures. The metal had Cadmus's body on edge, hoping they weren't discovered before Eden arose. Luckily, it was after several minutes that Eden regained a semblance of consciousness. Her eyes opened slowly, before blinking and flinching. The sudden brightness made her groan, and her hands flew to her eyes to cover them. The movement stopped mid-action as Eden remembered what happened.

She didn't move from her position but began touching her face, shoulders, throat and her chest- realizing that the scars and wounds were gone. A sigh of relief left her mouth before she turned to Cade, stared, and then grinned.

If he had any breath, it would have gotten caught in his throat. He had never seen something so beautiful. It took all of his self-control to not say what he was thinking. Instead, he hugged her fiercely. His head found the crook of her neck, inhaling her new scent and becoming familiar with it; He thanked the Most High in Heaven that she was with him. He didn't want to let her go, not now or ever. She hugged him back moments later; her hug just as bone crushing as his.

Eden leaned on him, sighing once more in relief before breaking away to stare at him. His hands went to her face, inspecting her carefully, trying to catch the changes in her transition; but she was still as perfect as when she was human. Another comment he'd have to keep to himself. But he couldn't help it. Although her beauty wasn't the first thing that drew him to her, Cade could not deny that her beauty made him stay.

"Something on my face?" Eden interrupted his train of thought. "So help me Lord, if there's a booger on my face and you haven't said shit, I'm not forgiving you."

That and her smart mouth. Can't have one without the other. Regardless, she's perfect.

"No, you got nothing on your face... I feared losing you, though." Cade admitted, pulling away and placing his hands on the ground for support, her body still on top of his.