THEY ARE OUR SIBLINGS AND OUR MOTHERS NOT OUR PROPERTY

'Infidels' and Muslims alike were offended when Muhammad begin to share Islamic prescription of women's rights.  Chiefly that they are on par with and equal to men and in marriage have title to inheritance rather than being just part of it.  This was not only unheard of by Arabic tribal society but the world in general at the time – the EARLIER half of the seventh century!

Rejected by others due to his regard for women was nothing new to Muhammad.  For years he had been scoffed at for working for a woman, his first wife, Khadija – a rare female merchant.  She was fifteen years his senior and had proposed marriage to him out of respect for his honest, modest, humble, and calm character.  They were married twenty eight years (fifteen before Muhammad became a Prophet and thirteen after) until her death under economic sanctions by the Meccans denying her and other Muslims from being sold food, selling goods for money, etc.  Muhammad himself never placed such sanctions on others for purposes of revenge or forced conversion and persecution.

Even as a Prophet, Muhammad did not think himself more superior than women.  Often he allowed himself to be subjected to questions from them.  Especially one of his later wives, Aisha, who was just as much a companion and wife to him as she was his own Thomas (the disciple of Jesus known for his questioning nature often frowned upon by Christians but never Jesus himself).  Aisha is also known for taking part in battles defending Medina from Meccan persecution along aside Muslims and Non-Muslims alike as well as being responsible for the recording of much of the Quran and Hadith.  She might have been modest and pious but she was no mere blushing beauty, dumb woman, or pushover either!