Chapter 2

Little rant about the song. Stop whatever you're doing and listen to the song. Oh and also...do play it while reading the chap. Even if you don't...do listen to it atleast once.

Little rant about the photo. I know, I know. But I can't help. I am obsessed. Also this is not a fanfic. Just to make it clear. Enjoy!!

Emerald's POV:

My day was absolutely horrible. First I discovered something about Nathan which I think was not meant for me to discover and that was eating my head for the entire week including today. But today I couldn't think of him. No, I had my own worries and miseries to drown in. Today was one of the most saddest days in my life. Today was my mother's death anniversary. Soft, golden rays of the Sun were peaking through my windows. The room was lit due to the rays, but nothing could fill the dark of my heart with sunshine, with light. And especially not today. I was planning on visiting my mother's grave today after school. But I had to go quickly or else my dad wouldn't allow me to. He never allows me to visit her grave and I always have to secretly visit her. This saddens me a lot. She was my mother after all. Why am I not allowed to visit her?

As I got ready for school and went down the stairs,trying to be as quite as possible, I was suddenly grabbed by my wrist and spun around. A pair of bloodshot,angry looking eyes bore right into me. He brought his hand up and punched me in the stomach. A soft whimper left my mouth. I can't help it. That was very hard! He screamed at me for being so weak and quite literally threw me to the floor. After about one hour of repeatedly kicking, punching, throwing and cursing out at me he finally let me go and specifically instructed me to not go anywhere. After that warning he left the house,slamming the door behind him. He was really angry and I won't risk angering him even more. I carefully got up from the floor and went into my room and then into my bathroom. After cleaning myself up I looked into the mirror and saw the reflection of a lifeless girl.

She looked exactly like me. She had the same green eyes, brown hair, the same features as me. But she wasn't me. Her eyes were dull and lifeless,bruises were covering most of her body and angry, red lines ran all across her arms. No that was not me. I was a very cheerful and happy girl. That was not the girl in front of me. Where did she go? She was lost somewhere. And she couldn't be found, atleast not until I stayed in this house. I hated my dad for doing this to me. It's not my fault that my mum died. It's not my fault that Liam ran away. No it's his fault. He himself is at fault but his pride and ego doesn't let him accept it. He just needs someone to blame his mistakes on. Before it was Liam and now it is me.

It was at times like these that I missed my mum very much. If she were alive, none of this would have happened. Why did you leave me? What did I do to deserve this? Don't you love me mum? Then why, just why did you leave me! If you can hear me, then tell me, will I ever see you again? Because if there even a slight chance, I am ready to take it. Please, I can't do this anymore. By now the tears were relentlessly flowing out of my eyes. I went to my room and carefully lifted the mattress. Beneath it was a photo... of my mum. That was the only photo I had of her. She was my best friend, my sister. She was the only person who would listen to my late night rants. Laugh with me at my silly jokes, sleep with me when I had nightmares, wipe my tears when I was broken over a boy and vent out with me when my favourite contestant in a reality show got out. She was my everything and now that she is gone I am nothing.

I am just a shell, a broken beyond repair shell, of who I used to be. I am not who I used to be. My present body is the only physical proof that I am still Emerald Adams. Because my mind, heart and soul... they are all dead. They are just the ghosts of who they used to be. Right now my happiness is like wisps of wind on a hot summer day, which rarely ever comes. The only smiles I smile are fake, the only laughs I laugh are forced. The things which are real about me? My pain, my tears, my frown and my life as a living hell. Happiness was my enemy and depression was my best friend. Colours were my curse and darkness was my blessing. Feathers and pillows were my bullies but knives and razors were my protectors. Messed up life, I know.