Chapter Fourteen

TW: SH (no graphic scenes, only mentions of it)

George spent the rest of the day in his room, not coming out once for anything at all. Dream noticed his absence at random times throughout the day, and the longer the British man was gone, the guiltier he felt.

He knew he shouldn't have kissed him. Not when George was still trying to get over Oliver. He should have waited, been more patient with him instead of rushing things. He got too excited. He fucked up.

When Sapnap got home and walked into the living room to see Clay sitting on the couch, staring blankly at the TV - which wasn't even on - he knew something had gone wrong. He sighed and sat next to him, wrapping an arm around his shoulders and pulling him into a side hug.

"What happened?" he asked quietly. Dream sighed and dropped his head into his hands, elbows placed on his knees.

"I kissed him," Dream said, his words muffled by his hands. "I told him I loved him, and he didn't believe me, so I...kissed him."

Sapnap stared at him and shook his head. "You're pretty stupid, aren't you?"
Dream looked up, confused. "What?"

"He's still trying to get over Oliver, stupid," Sapnap said, smacking him gently upside the head. "Telling him you have feelings for him is one thing. Kissing him while he's trying to get over another man? Dream. Come on. You should know better than that."

Dream turned red with embarrassment. "It was just something that happened, Sap," he muttered. "I wasn't planning to do it. It just seemed like a good thing to do in the moment. And now he won't come out of his room. He kicked me out, told me to leave him alone."

Sapnap looked surprised, and then quickly sad when he realized Dream was crying, his shoulders just barely trembling.

"Okay, okay," he said hurriedly, awkwardly patting Dream's shoulder and standing up. "I'll go talk to him, see if he's okay. Alright? Just - stay down here."

Sapnap wasn't sure what he was expecting when he walked into George's bedroom, but it wasn't this.

George was curled up on his bed, silent tears rolling down his cheeks, obviously upset. But the marks on George's arms are what immediately drew Nick's attention.

"George?" he said quietly, shutting the door behind him and walking over to sit next to his friend on the bed. He rubbed his back soothingly and waited for George to sit up. His face was pale, tear tracks staining his cheeks. George sniffled and moved a bit closer, obviously seeking comfort. Sapnap gave it to him without hesitation, wrapping him up in a warm hug.

"You're okay," he murmured, rubbing his back. "Do you want to talk about it?"

George pressed his face into Sapnap's shoulder. "I shouldn't have kicked him out," he said sadly. "I should've just told him I wasn't ready. I didn't mean to make him upset, Sap."

Nick sighed and rested his chin on top of George's head. "He shouldn't have kissed you," he reasoned. "But you're right - kicking him out was a little harsh."

George nodded into his shoulder and sniffled a bit. Sapnap hugged him tighter.

"Will you go talk to him about it? He's really upset too. You guys really need each other right now."

"I don't know if I'm ready," George admitted. "After Oliver, I just...I don't know. It's hard."

"I know, and I get it." he agreed. "But it would make both of you feel a little better if you were on the same page. Just...tell him you have feelings for him, but you're not ready to act on them right now. You know Dream - he'd totally understand, and he'd give you all the space you need."

"But what if I don't want space?" George asked, pulling away from the embrace and pulling his legs up to his chest. "I want to...God, I don't know, Sap. Part of me wants to be with him, but on the other hand, it's hard. I'm not completely okay after Oliver." He laughed dryly and held out his arms, his scars and marks on his arms out in the open. Sapnap flinched and looked down, unable to look at it.

That hurt his heart, to know George had been going through so much and he hadn't even bothered to notice.

"It's okay, George," he said, looking back up. "He'll understand, I promise.

"Just go talk to him."

George walked down the stairs, pulling Dream's hoodie over his head as he did. He enjoyed the warmth - that was all.

Dream was sitting on the sofa, his head hanging, staring at his hands. He looked up at George as walked in, and patted the spot next to him. George took it, pulling his legs up onto the couch.

"Dream-"

"I'm sorry," Dream blurted, interrupting George. "I shouldn't have kissed you, it was wrong and I should've known you wouldn't take it well, I don't know what I was thinking-"

"Clay," George said, trying to get a word in. Dream didn't listen.

"I don't know why I did it, it just seemed like the only way for you to believe me and take me seriously-"
"Dream!"

Dream shut his mouth and looked up at him. "What?"

George huffed. "Finally," he muttered. "Listen, I-" George hesitated, taking a deep breath before he continued.

"I...like you, okay?"

Dream blinked.

"It was just too soon for me," he said, his voice lowering to a quiet whisper. "It's only been a couple of weeks since Olly and I broke up. I wasn't ready for it, and I wish that I would've had more time to get my thoughts together before I came down here, but I just-"

George held Dream's gaze and shuffled closer, fitting himself neatly into Dream's side.
"I like you. That's it. But...I'm not ready for anything right now."

Dream nodded, holding the other close and burying his head in the crook of his throat. "I understand," he said, breath ghosting over George's skin. "I'll wait for you, however long it'll take. I'll wait."

They sat on the couch for the rest of the night, at ease with their feelings - for now.

The next few days were peaceful, filled with Sapnap teasing the both of them endlessly about having to fix everything for them and George and Dream laughing it off. They didn't know where they stood right now, but had come to a mutual agreement that they were still allowed to cuddle from time to time. Dream took every chance he could get to hold George in his arms.

George's mental health was at a standstill, not getting better, but also not getting worse. He started eating a little bit more with Dream's encouragement, but still found himself locking himself in the bathroom at night, reaching into the bottom drawer.

They got the news that Oliver had been released from jail on bail, and that he was staying with Edward again. Sapnap helped George change the locks on all the doors, while Dream installed a deadbolt on the top of the front door, which was locked every night after dinner. Oliver wouldn't be coming after any of them any time soon.

The time came for Sapnap to go back home, much to George's dismay. His college classes were starting back up again, and he couldn't miss them.

"You'll have to come visit me soon, Gogy," Nick had said, hugging him tight at the airport. "I'm going to miss your stupid face."

George laughed and held him close. "I'll miss you too, Sappy Nappy."

And then it was just Dream and George, all alone in an apartment.
What could go wrong?

AN: i hope you guys enjoyed! We're reaching the end of this fic, probably only a few more chapters! Thank you all so much for your support! :)) <3