Together

Lorraine

I woke up from a nightmare drenched in sweat. My throat felt dry and my heart was still beating fast from the nightmare. I sat up from my bed and reached for my glass of water. Thinking to myself what time was it and I was a bit disoriented. I drank a bit too much during dinner just because I was happy. Happy to have my husband back. Was that the only reason I drank glass after glass of wine?

During dinner, I couldn't help but looked at Shane. It was the last night of him staying in this house. I felt a sharp pain through my heart when I thought about not having him around anymore. It wasn't like he was leaving me or this family for good and we would never see him again. It was just the fact that he has been with us, in this house the past four years.

I shall miss him so intensely. So will the kids.

Roland must have sensed I was acting strange. He reached over and held my hand.

"Is everything okay love? You still doing good?"

He looked at my other hand holding the wine glass.

I smiled.

"Yes hun...everything is good."

I could feel Shane's heated gaze on me and my cheeks were burning.

Thank god for Laia as she got on her feet standing on the chair.

With one hand holding a glass of sparkling apply cider she looked right at Shane.

"Uncle Shaney. Just want you to know we are going to miss you so much. But cheers."

Shane smiled as he and the rest of us raised our glasses.

Lucas got up and cleared his throat.

"Shaney you know I will miss kicking your sorry ass around the house. Even though you annoy the shit out of me but you are still my bruh and I love you too."

Kyle got up and walked to Shane holding out his arms for a hug.

A smile formed on my face. Shane and Kyle are basically brothers. Even closer than real brothers.

Laia looked over at me.

"Auntie Rain... It's your turn."

To be honest, I've never felt this awkward in my whole 32 years of life. I swallowed hard and looked at Shane. His beautiful blue eyes instantly calm me down. He grinned at me as if reassuring me.

I got up and walked to him.

"Shaney... I just want to thank you for everything you have done for me and my family. You're a part of me... of us. Please know that we are always here for you too. Our home is always your home. Come back often to see us."

I could feel my eyes tearing up. Before I allowed myself to cry, I threw myself into his arms wrapping my arms around his neck.

He pat me on my back and murmured.

"Of course I'll be back Rain."

Joshua came running over and he tried to hug the both of us holding onto our legs. Kaia screamed "Me me me."

She wanted to join of course. Lucas helped her down from her booster seat. She came running over and pressed herself on Shane's other leg.

This felt so right. The four of us.

We finally let go of each other. I looked at Roland and he smiled at me. I hurried back to my seat.

Laia of course had other ideas.