Chapter 2

Hey guys, T.G.I.F.

Have a lovely weekend. I will really appreciate your votes and comments, thanks.

_______________
As I walked out of Dr. Naidu's office, my mom's bluish green eyes snapped to me. She offered me a nervous smile and stood up from her seat as I walked towards her. Her anxious eyes searching mine, she waited for me to say something but I had nothing to say to her. I gave her a pursed smile and headed for the exterior door.

I pushed the revolving door, hearing her say a brief farewell to the receptionist before following me. As I stepped outside into the parking lot, the summer breeze blew softly through my loose wavy hair. I closed my eyes and let out a long breath easing my pent-up emotions a little.

I walked over to a blue Hyundai Elantra parked at the middle row. I leaned on the car, hands dipped into jacket pockets and waited for my mom. Soon enough, the car beeped, causing me to perk up. My mom was approaching with the car key in hand. Her dark brown ponytail and green floral summer dress flowing with the breeze.

She gave me a cheeky smile, then perched her elbow on the car roof.

"So, how was it?, she asked in her sing-songy way.

I shrugged.

"Same as usual". I opened the car door and got in.

"Here". I handed her the paper the doctor had given me as soon as she got into the car. She furrowed her brows as she eyed the paper in her hand. She sighed, then dropped it in her handbag. I glanced up and saw her looking at me, her eyes full of concern.

"You will be fine, my little chestnut. You know that, right?". She always tried to soothe me with those kind words especially after therapy sessions. It had become a habit.

"Sure, whatever", I shrugged.

She sighed.

"You know at the rate at which you shrug these days. I'm getting scared that your shoulders might soon fall off. And then you will look like a damn beaver".

My eyes snapped to her. She had a playful smirk on, amusement flickering in her eyes. I cocked an eyebrow.

"What the heck, ma!"

"You heard me, but I'm still gonna be here 'cause I love your cranky ass".

I gawked at her. She really had chosen this way to lighten up my mood. She just ignored my stare.

"By the way, your aunt Betty called. She sends her greetings".

"Did you really have to bring up that old hag right now", I groaned.

My mom gave me a long pointed look, then smacked my shoulders. "Do not talk about your sweet old aunt Betty like that", she scolded.

"Yeah, yeah. Only you would think she's sweet anyways". I mumbled under my breath as I rolled my eyes surreptitiously. She scoffed.

"Well, with or without your approval, the plan remains the same. So you might as well stop being all grumpy about it and deal with it".

I opened my mouth to object but she held up a hand. She shook her head and reached for the seatbelt. "Seatbelt please". She called over her shoulder.

I fastened my seatbelt just as my mom started the car and pulled out of the parking lot.

It was a Sunday afternoon. The blue hue of the sky was captivating as white streaks of obscure-shaped clouds swam across with the bright golden sun. The blaring horns of cars, the rumbling engines, the humming inaudible sounds of people going around their businesses, the whole buzz made me feel so alive yet pretty well out of it. Then, there was that summer breeze, people like mom would call it a beautiful day.