Chapter 13

I rolled to my side, squinting my eyes tight and pressed my head into my pillow. All I wanted was to get far away from the harsh ray of sunlight invading my sleepy eyes.

Who in the living daylight pulled my curtains?!

There was a familiar tune playing in the background; the sudden sunlight and that noise had alerted me from my peaceful sleep but I was yet to be fully conscious to figure it out. The blaring noise soon stopped, relieved, I started to drift back to sleep but then, the comforter was yanked forcefully off my body, exposing me to the warm rays of sunlight and a chill breeze.

I groaned and sat up, my half opened eyes searching for the person I was going to yell at; I found my mom standing by my bed, already giving me one of her frequent hard glares, she leaned forward and pulled a wrapper of maltessers off my face, holding it in front of me in a silent question.

I drowsily stared back.

The blaring noise started again, my mum dropped the wrapper without getting a response and held out my phone to me. It was in that moment I realized the familiar tune was infact my ringtone.

"Your phone is ringing for the millionth time, looks like your Momma really needs you", she vented in anger.

"Huh?! Who is my Momma?", I asked slowly, confused but in response, she thrusted the vibrating phone into my hands and flounced out of the room.

I was still dazed when I heard her voice again from the hallway, "And get your lazy bones out of bed or you'll be late for school"

I glanced over at the alarm clock on my nightstand, 7:18am.

There's still plenty of time to sleep,

The caller ID displayed 'Momma' with a purple smiling face with horns emoji, I couldn't remember saving such a contact but I picked up anyways.

"Hello?"

"Girl, I've been calling you for half a day now, where have you been?!"

The caller was a female and if my senses were fully conscious, she sounded pissed but who exactly was it. Before I could ask, she spoke again,

"What number is your house? Or better still, is it the white one or the green one or the brown one or-"

"Who is this?", I interjected, my brows furrowing.

"Oh right! This is KC and I'm currently driving on your street. I decided to come pick you up so which house is yours?"

"Wait what?!"

I jumped out of bed and ran to my window, peeking to see if I could spot her car.

"I never asked you to come pick me up so why would you? Just go! I don't need your help, I can get around myself"

"So you wouldn't tell me?"

"Hell no!"

"Fine then. I guess I have to start ringing every doorbell and asking if they know anyone named Roxanne, she's my brother's runaway wife, she's pregnant with their child and I just got a tip that she recently moved to this street. I'm gonna have this pity look on so it works in well. I'll probably get to yours, eventually"

"What?! You wouldn't!", I said through gritted teeth.

"Try me. I'm already hopping off to go ring the first door"

"Fine, jeez...House 15"

"Cool, I'll see you soon", she said cheerfully and ended the call.

I grunted in frustration, picturing the triumphant smile that must be on her face right now. I hurried to the bathroom to wash my face and teeth, dressed up in a rush, brushed my hair and then, paused in front of the mirror to make sure I looked okay before dashing out of my room with my bag and phone.