Chapter 5

Hey Guys

I'm so sorry for the delay, last few days were ughhhh. Happy new month by the way.

Shout out to Eclipse67947 for your help and for being a huge motivation.

Please remember to vote or comment or both, they really mean a lot, thanks )))

****

Lunchtime finally came and it was the only thing that had made me happy since I stepped into this stressful place. My rebellious stomach wouldn't stop grumbling throughout the last class constantly reminding me of how I was yet to honor it with a service since the two slices of toast I had munched on this morning.

Luckily, finding the cafeteria wasn't hard given that almost everyone was heading that way.

I sauntered into the noisy lunchroom and silently joined the queue at the food stand, trying as much as possible to blend in and not get noticed. Soon, I had a cheese burger with chips and ketchup alongside an orange juice pack on a tray as I turned to find a place to sit, a place less crowdy where I could eat in momentary peace and I spotted one at the far side of the room.

As I walked briskly towards it, my ears picked up low murmurs about some new transfer girl mixed in the noise around. I took a subtle glance and that's when I caught sight of a few people staring, at me.

I tried to overlook it, I mean, I was the new girl of course it was normal for them to stare. If I was at the other end of the table in this situation, I would also be staring the person down, no doubt. But there was no denying how vulnerable I was beginning to feel and I tried not to focus on how it reminded me of my old school, back to just after shit came down and I was left alone to face it. It felt like when I had to walk through hallways and classrooms with judging eyes from both teachers and students staring daggers at me.

I mentally shook off the thoughts, it was different now because I would make sure of it and as soon as I sat at my own little space, they wouldn't matter anymore.

"Hey, buddy!". A voice called out loudly, stopping me in my tracks as it reached me. It almost felt like it was directed at me.

Not you, definitely not you. Just keep walking

"Roxie!!"

My eyes widened a fraction and this time whoever it was had been able to get more heads to turn. I knew for a fact that it couldn't be me but then I concluded it wouldn't hurt to just check though the rational part of me was repulsing furiously.

And so I slowly turned to the direction from which the voice came from and I was met with my doom, KC.

Note to self, never ignore that stupid rational part.

She was at a table, a little far away into the center which was the densely populated area of the cafeteria, casually gesturing for me to come over.

I gave her an incredulous look.

She must be out of her damn mind if she thinks I'm coming over there

I didn't even know her well enough to want to have a meal together and that was never going to happen so I chose to ignore.

I continued walking, increasing my pace a little to get as far away from her as I could. Avoiding her was my best option.

A weird looking guy was already occupying the other seat at the table but I couldn't care less, it was just one insignificant person. I sat opposite him, not bothering to exchange any form of pleasantries and it went unnoticed since he had his full attention on a comic book.