Chapter 9

I ran up the blocks of Bexley street, not stopping once since I got down from the bus, not even for a breath. My anxiety was getting the better of me and I had to quickly make sure my conjecture was wrong.

I finally stopped in front of the cream house and leaned over my wobbly knees to catch my breath, my chest rising and falling rapidly as I hastily adjusted the strap of my backpack on my shoulder.

"Roxanne!"

My mom came hastily towards me in long strides and engulfed me in a tight hug, squeezing out the little breath I had been able to catch.

"You. Can. Let. Go. Now", I said breathlessly and my mom quickly pulled away with a 'sorry', waiting for me to catch my breath again in gasps.

"Thank God, I was worried sick. You are not hurt anywhere, are you?"

She tried to check my body for any injury but I pulled back.

"No, I'm fine. I thought something happened to you"

"Nothing happened, I'm okay"

"Then, what's this all about?"

She sighed, glancing back and my eyes followed hers to the front yard of the house. Heidi and a man who had a loose arm around her lower back, stood there, talking with two police officers.

I've had an encounter with cops before and it wasn't a nice one, so seeing them now, at my house didn't help my nerves.

"Mom, why are the cops here?"

She didn't say a word, just pulled me along to our unwanted guests. As we approached, they all turned to us and one of the men in uniform spoke.

"We've checked the whole house ma'am, there's no other sign of burglary. The intruder must have ran away after realizing his noise alerted your neighbors"

"You are sure you didn't see anything to help identify the burglar?", he asked the man standing next to Heidi.

"Yes, by the time I got here, there was no one"

The cop nodded, his hand resting on the utility belt around his waist.

"Is there anything you can do to assure safety? It's just me and my daughter here you see"

"We can have someone keep a lookout tonight and tomorrow, should incase the burglar tries to come back", the second cop ascertained.

"That's very nice of you, thank you so much"

My mom offered them a smile and they nodded in response.

"Anytime"

The middle-aged man gave them both an handshake and Heidi thanked them for their time.

We watched them get into the cruiser and as soon as they were out of sight, my mom turned to face the couple, I presumed.

"Thank you so much Edward, thank you Heidi. I really don't know what I would have done without your help"

Heidi smiled, "No need to thank us, we are really glad we could help. Besides, what are neighbors for?"

"You are so kind", my mom smiled and walked over to give her a hug.

I surreptitiously rolled my eyes at the act, Mushy

Edward glanced at me and I returned the gaze, taking the chance to take him in. He was fair, slightly plump and of an average height, "It's nice to finally meet you, Roxanne. My wife has told me about you"

I wasn't really bothered if they were all good things cause I knew I wasn't generally sweet at our first meeting. I gave him a slight nod with what I thought was a smile.