The Lion King: Mufasa Almost Killed His Pride

One of the biggest lessons that we learned from The Lion King was the way the circle of life worked. Throughout the movie, it really emphasized how everything is connected and without those connections, the delicate balance of life would be thrown into chaos. This lesson was shared by none other than Mufasa; and according to this fan theory, he also took it upon himself to prove how right he was.

After Mufasa dies and Simba finally gets some sense knocked into him, we learn that Pride Rock has become a wasteland. The animals have all either fled or died, save for the lions and the hyenas. There is no food, no vegetation, and basically no hope. Previously we all simply looked at this and thought that the hyenas and Scar were responsible for the tragedy — but apparently we were very wrong.

If you think back to a little earlier in the film, you might recall Simba facing his deceased father who appears to him within the clouds. Something truly amazing, yes, but also proof to support the fact that Mufasa was actually responsible for the drought that devastated Pride Rock. He clearly has the ability to manipulate the weather and he has two different motives that could have led him to this radical action.
1.) He wants to punish Scar for his betrayal and make it hard for him to keep control over Pride Rock
2.) To convince Simba to go home and take his place as king.

So if this theory is correct, then that basically means he was willing to put the lives of the Pride he was supposed to protect at risk in exchange for a little revenge and to teach his son a lesson. But wait, remember when Simba is hanging off Pride Rock and Scar is taunting him about his father’s death? There was a lightning bolt that struck around that time and caused a huge fire. What’s so strange about this is the fact that lightning strikes at higher points, leading us to believe that Scar’s lies were really angering Mufasa. That anger was displayed by the bolt that probably should have hit them. Luckily for Simba, he had someone on his side that was able to steer the bolt away.

Finally, after the battle is over it suddenly starts to rain in Pride Rock. This is another case of odd weather that Mufasa likely caused. Everything is right, Simba is king, so he could finally put an end to the drought. As great as the ending was, it doesn’t change the fact that Mufasa almost killed so many lions and was responsible for the deaths of many other animals. He did all of this just to prove a point to Simba and make him take his place in the circle of life. That’s a little extreme, Mufasa. Maybe tone it down a bit next time.